Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,632 Posts
Definitely use channel of you go with tape.
Lotus makes some economically priced puck lights

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I would recommend puck lights. I've encountered four or five customers this year alone with defective tape light installs that they wanted me to fix, which I politely declined. However the one time I installed puck lights in a built in entertainment center I never got a callback for service.

·
Registered
15,024 Posts
I’ve installed fixtures, pucks, and tape. To both downlight the countertops and up light the cabinets.

If you get tape, make sure it covered so it can be wiped down. If you pull it to the front, you won’t get a reflection off the counter top.

Fixtures can be nice, but sizing can be a pain and thickness is an issue.

Pucks are probably the most work to install.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I would recommend puck lights. I've encountered four or five customers this year alone with defective tape light installs that they wanted me to fix, which I politely declined. However the one time I installed puck lights in a built in entertainment center I never got a callback for service.
The ONE TIME? Tape lights are, when not purchased for a song from AliExpress, bulletproof.

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
LED strip on roll. Put them on the inside corner. If they are getting new cabinets installed get the cabinet maker to make a channel up top for the wiring. Use a small dab of super glue on each end if you're worried about the adhesive failing. They are easy to remove or replace and you don't have to drill holes for pucks.

Rectangle Parallel Font

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I wish I could agree but I've witnessed stuff purchased from reputable local suppliers give up the ghost lately. But to be fair it's been one brand in specific, WAC.
To be fair, there are many many many more manufacturers. I don’t use it, that much. But I do know this everything of an electronic nature is acquirable Junior various sources, and anything that specifically meant made or designed for hard usage such as kitchen undercabinet lighting… Is subject to failure, because the installer failed in their acquisition.

·
Registered
Mislabeled, cut too short, and forgot a wire
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are really nice but I think Rab Canada is different than Rab USA. View attachment 167165
I was thinking something like this. Or like a small can with an MR16 lamp. Trouble was trying to find one with a low enough profile so that it would still be hidden behind the crown molding.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,341 Posts
We used to have an inspector who refused to final any job that had puck lights installed in cabinets. That was back before the LED ones came out. I put in some LED pucks once thinking it would run cooler because of the led's but it got too hot to touch just like the old halogen ones did . So far though , I haven't set anybody's house on fire . Knock on charred wood...........

Reactions: CoreyOnTheBrink

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,341 Posts
Me hates puck lights by the way. But...... probably the best thing for glass front cabinets .

You could try Kitchler tape led lights. They are pretty pricey though. But they are good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts