Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the guys and gals that took the time to go through the training, testing and $$$$ to get your state of Wisconsin credentials. Apparently someone in the South Western part of our state is trying to have a grandfathering of people 55 years and older when the manditory licensing law takes effect this April 1st. Call everybody you can find in our government to express your displeasure with this continuing disregard for the safety the Wisconsin residents.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I don't see what the issue is ? If they are 55, they probably forgot more than you know.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
To all the guys and gals that took the time to go through the training, testing and $$$$ to get your state of Wisconsin credentials. Apparently someone in the South Western part of our state is trying to have a grandfathering of people 55 years and older when the manditory licensing law takes effect this April 1st. Call everybody you can find in our government to express your displeasure with this continuing disregard for the safety the Wisconsin residents.
You have a link to that or is it just a rumor? How much difference is it going to make as most of them got their license before the deadline last April. Then the last minute they pushed it off another year.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Does anyone know why they extended it last year?
For one thing, they didn't have any inspection available other than those pesky UDC guys. I still haven't heard of any commercial electrical inspectors other than the original state inspectors. I heard something about the Realtor's Assy. lobbying against it. Maybe someone else has more insider info on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They extended it last year because a five year grace period wasn't fair to the people that just didn't have enough time to invest in their profession. Just because you maybe 55 or older doesn't mean you know what your doing. Oh I know you been doing electrical work your whole life. Its just that you've been doing it wrong. Take the classes. Read the books. Take the test. I know not everyone fits that. But I know quite a few that do. Its time to get laws that protect the consumers.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
They extended it last year because a five year grace period wasn't fair to the people that just didn't have enough time to invest in their profession. Just because you maybe 55 or older doesn't mean you know what your doing. Oh I know you been doing electrical work your whole life. Its just that you've been doing it wrong. Take the classes. Read the books. Take the test. I know not everyone fits that. But I know quite a few that do. Its time to get laws that protect the consumers.
It would be wonderful if that was the intent of the law. But we both know who lobbied for this licensing bill so it kind of takes the joy out of it even if it does create some more work for us licensed electricians. Look for exemptions to come down the pike when, and if they actually enact the law this year.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Nice of you to assume because they don't have a license they have been doing it wrong there entire life!
If they don't care enough about thier trade to pass a test then it is a pretty safe bet they did not care enough to learn how to do it right.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm one of those pushing for the grandfathering. I've been doing this since I was 16. I have a journeyman's ticket. Now they suddenly demand I have to have a masters to do what I've been doing all this time. And age 67 is a piss poor time to try to pass a timed exam. Testing is a young guy's game. And what the hell is the harm? We haven't needed any license for all these years, what is a few more years while us old codgers die off?

And I won't comment on your statement ultrafault, don't want a mod jumping on me for writing what I am thinking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jrclen said:
I'm one of those pushing for the grandfathering. I've been doing this since I was 16. I have a journeyman's ticket. Now they suddenly demand I have to have a masters to do what I've been doing all this time. And age 67 is a piss poor time to try to pass a timed exam. Testing is a young guy's game. And what the hell is the harm? We haven't needed any license for all these years, what is a few more years while us old codgers die off? And I won't comment on your statement ultrafault, don't want a mod jumping on me for writing what I am thinking.

67 is a good time to retire. If you have that many years in the trade then you should be able to pass the test. I am working with guys that are not licensed and I'm hoping they get canned come April 1st and some are over 55 so don't screw it up.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
67 is a good time to retire. If you have that many years in the trade then you should be able to pass the test. I am working with guys that are not licensed and I'm hoping they get canned come April 1st and some are over 55 so don't screw it up.
Wonder what it must be like to work with someone that hopes you get canned.........:whistling2::whistling2: How much work is a 67 year old going to take away from you?? I'd say grandfather 60 and older if they've been in the trade for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
wendon said:
Wonder what it must be like to work with someone that hopes you get canned.........:whistling2::whistling2: How much work is a 67 year old going to take away from you?? I'd say grandfather 60 and older if they've been in the trade for 10 years or more.

The problem is they think they know what they are doing because they have time in the trade. Take the test, we all had to. This law was passed in 2008 that gives you five years to pass the test. Maybe failing the test a few times will make these guys realize they don't know it all. Just because your old doesn't make you smart.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm one of those pushing for the grandfathering. I've been doing this since I was 16. I have a journeyman's ticket. Now they suddenly demand I have to have a masters to do what I've been doing all this time. And age 67 is a piss poor time to try to pass a timed exam. Testing is a young guy's game. And what the hell is the harm? We haven't needed any license for all these years, what is a few more years while us old codgers die off?

And I won't comment on your statement ultrafault, don't want a mod jumping on me for writing what I am thinking.
How does this mandatory licensing requirement make you get your masters?

I am against grandfathering. Even if you've been doing this for 20+ years, that is a number of code cycles. Many times the old guys are the most uninformed when it comes to new requirements because "I've been doing it the other way for decades and nothing bad ever happened."

·
Registered
285 Posts
I work by myself. Under the new rules every journeyman must work under the direction of a master or must have a master's license.

And to keep my journeyman's license I must complete continuing eduction just like anyone else. So I take a course in the new code every time. You're poke at old guys is invalid and uncalled for.

Want us older guys to get the license? Then take the time limit off the test and let us plod along at our slower pace until we finish. In the field I am under no time limit to do calculations or to look something up.

And like anyone else, I must pass inspections and do code complaint work.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
jrclen said:
I work by myself. Under the new rules every journeyman must work under the direction of a master or must have a master's license. And to keep my journeyman's license I must complete continuing eduction just like anyone else. So I take a course in the new code every time. You're poke at old guys is invalid and uncalled for. Want us older guys to get the license? Then take the time limit off the test and let us plod along at our slower pace until we finish. In the field I am under no time limit to do calculations or to look something up. And like anyone else, I must pass inspections and do code complaint work.
How do you pull permits without a Masters?

I wasn't aiming my comments directly at you, but why should age play a factor in the requirements? I do code compliant work too, should I get an exemption?

·
Registered
148 Posts
And just who are you to decide when it's a good time for me to retire? :censored:

Apparently the state of wi is deciding it for you. You don't pass the journeymans test you can't work without direct supervision of a licensed electrician. I guess you could be a 67 year old helper if you wanted to, I would rather retire or test myself, but that's up to you.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts