Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know.... I'm a maple syrup lovin hose head from the north... but boy does it tick me off seeing how prices change because of a border. I was looking at some gear wrench reversible ratcheting wrenches..... an 8pc set... home depot in the states 60$ very reasonable... home depot in Canada, doesnt even carry them, to get them in the great white north...cost over 160$ by the time pay for shipping! I wish I had an address in buffalo to ship tools to just so I don't have to pay through the nose. I get it if they are going to mark up prices on us a bit since we talk funny but over double common. Not just tools, its scary, we order all our atv parts out of the states now even because of how much cheaper it is to buy in the us. How am I supposed to by local when I can get the parts to do a complete brake job on 2 machines cheaper then I can buy parts for the front end on only one here in Canada :no: Once the tool want list grows a bit bigger, a trip to buffalo is in order :thumbup:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Don't you have to pay some kind of UPS freight forwarding fee for shipments from the USA?

At any rate, if you're close enough to either New York or Michigan, it's worth a trip over the border.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I live 4 streets over from the US border and we order a lot of stuff (personal items) online and have it shipped to a company across the line and then go pick it up. My wife does a trip to the grocery stores across the line once or twice a month. The savings are huge.. even gas, it's $1.50/L in our town, across the line its about $1.25/L which is totally inflated to a rip off rate because all kinds of Canadians cross over just to buy gas.

I can't really figure out why everything is so damn cheap down there.. or why it's so damn expensive up here.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I live 4 streets over from the US border and we order a lot of stuff (personal items) online and have it shipped to a company across the line and then go pick it up. My wife does a trip to the grocery stores across the line once or twice a month. The savings are huge.. even gas, it's $1.50/L in our town, across the line its about $1.25/L which is totally inflated to a rip off rate because all kinds of Canadians cross over just to buy gas.

I can't really figure out why everything is so damn cheap down there.. or why it's so damn expensive up here.

You guys are getting a good butt ramming....:eek::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Estwing magic
26,372 Posts
Don't you have to pay some kind of UPS freight forwarding fee for shipments from the USA?

At any rate, if you're close enough to either New York or Michigan, it's worth a trip over the border.
UPS are criminals. They charge a bogus brokerage fee even if you broker the item yourself. I know a guy who sent his company computer down to the US HO for upgrades. UPS charged him $80.00 for brokerage when they sent it back even though there was no sale of goods. When he refused, they sent a collection agency after him.

USPS doesn't charge brokerage. You just pay the Canadian tax.

I hate UPS. I refuse to deal with them.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Dont complain to me... I paid $120 usd for some Bondhus T handles at our version of Home Depot.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
We like the good life and have it. Especially Medical. We are almost like you US guys (no war machine to speak of tho), still we have great women, paved roads, stupid politicians.

Big problem. No population to support our 'standard of living'. Everything has to be higher priced.

Sorta like every state in the US being tax free except California of which the population there will pick up the tab for your whole country.

Except of course the war machine which is quite pricy methinks.

I think Canada bought some POS used submarines but I don't think they submerge yet. We probably don't have any bullets for them even. << Don't quote me on this as I really don't know.

Edit: Whosit goes to the US to buy goodies. I'd love to see him get his pecker worked on down there. Not a chance! He'd just be hustling over to the nearest Canadian Hospital, med card in hand.

WTF is with that?

Edit 2: No way am I saying names, but I bet the border crossings are packed every weekend, - I'd close em!. One thing 99% of Canadians will not do, - support your medical system.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
The chronic cross border shoppers piss me off as well. No, I don't have border envy, I'm only an hour from it.

We suffer from high taxes, high wages, low population density, and high logistical costs.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
The dollar is falling and cross border shopping is becoming less appealing once you factor in the exchange. That said, the borders are jammed up all the time with people crossing over to save a few bucks.

We can often buy things online for 1/2 the price it would be in Canada, and with free shipping. C'mon, that's not even CLOSE! That said, Amazon.ca has come a long way over the last year or so.. check it out, they're stocking more and more things and offering a lot of free shipping.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I think almost everything I've ordered from amazon.ca comes in brown trucks. I like them because they just leave everything at my door, so I don't have to go pick up a package anywhere.

That said, NEVER EVER order anything from the states that will be delivered by the brown trucks.. they will screw you royally.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I've been through three US/Ontairo crossings (Niagra Falls, Sarnia, and Windsor) and they were jammed with Ontario cars heading into the US. I'm sure they were all going to enjoy the lovely scenery in Detroit and Buffalo. :laughing::no:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry if I am double posting info. I did not read through the above posts.

There are a few business' just across the Niagara borders that exists just for this reason .

I have used one of them MANY times in the past 10 years.

www.usaddressinc.com

Its very simple. You order what you want online. address it to yourself (your name) with the address of this company.

They are located just off of the first HWY exit past the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge.

You go there, tell them your name, sometime provide ID and pay the $5. If its an oversized item they take $10.

ANOTHER cheaper way is this.

If you know that they item is being shipped via UPS. You can address it to yourself with the address of the closest UPS customer service centre. The cloesest one in this case is near the Military Road Outlets. Just off of Packard road. They only problem is that they have more strict/limited hours and will only hold your item for 5 business days. If not picked up, they will ship it back to where it came from.

You can also due the same thing with FedEx. They closest center is near they Buffalo Airport or Walden Galleria

PM if if you want more info.

I have used either one of the methods for as little as a single box shipment to as many as an 18 box shipment.

·
13,020 Posts
People from Washington State love coming to Oregon for big shopping sprees because there's no sales tax here.

Sometimes a border is just what the business doctor ordered :laughing:

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
People from Washington State love coming to Oregon for big shopping sprees because there's no sales tax here.

Sometimes a border is just what the business doctor ordered :laughing:
I actually have a mailbox in Tualatin. There are some things that you can't buy in Canada (Like a QO breaker interlock) that manufacturers won't ship here either.
Ships to there, is readdressed and shipped to me. They are in Oregon solely to beat sales tax.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I've been through three US/Ontairo crossings (Niagra Falls, Sarnia, and Windsor) and they were jammed with Ontario cars heading into the US. I'm sure they were all going to enjoy the lovely scenery in Detroit and Buffalo. :laughing::no:

And they were all waving to the senior tour bus going north to Canadian pharmacies .....:whistling2::rolleyes::laughing:~CS~

1 - 20 of 21 Posts