Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Im doing mostly residential wiring..would like to do more light commercial
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a inspection that failed coming off a bottom of a 400 meter i used USE - 2 going into the building to a gutter then two 200 amp panel..it failed because hee said use-2 cant be run from outside to inside..i cant find it

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,737 Posts
338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(B)Underground Service-Entrance Cable.

Underground service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:

(1)For interior wiring
(2)For aboveground installations except where USE cable emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D)
(3)As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified for use aboveground and installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II of Article 396

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(B)Underground Service-Entrance Cable.

Underground service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:

(1)For interior wiring
(2)For aboveground installations except where USE cable emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D)
(3)As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified for use aboveground and installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II of Article 396
So eveen though its in pipe an gutter and no more then 6 feet beforr it terminats at the main breaker..

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,737 Posts
“Figure 338-3 shows multiconductor Type USE cable for underground (including direct earth burial) applications of service or other circuits. Type USE may consist of one, two, or three conductors. If it has no building wire designation, its insulation will burn, and it is absolutely excluded from any interior wiring whatsoever by 338.12(B)(1). Where”
“used aboveground it must terminate where it emerges from the ground, such as at a meter socket, as covered in 338.12(B)(2). It is recognized for use as aerial cable, provided it is in the multiconductor form, identified as suitable for aboveground use, and run on a messenger. Some cables have both a “USE” designation and also a building wire designation, such as “RHW.” This cable can continue into a building. The basic temperature rating for this cable is 75°C and that limit applies unless a different number is marked on the cable.”

Excerpt From
McGraw-Hill's National Electrical Code (NEC) 2017 Handbook, 29th Edition
Frederic P. Hartwell & Joseph F. McPartland
This material may be protected by copyright.

“The ampacity issues regarding Type SE cables generally do not apply to underground applications, and the blanket application of ampacity limitations on Type UF cables in 340.80 need not be applied to Type USE cables. An exception, new as of the 2014 NEC, limits the reach of the final sentence in 338.10(B)(4)(b) by waiving those limitations. Note that the wording includes the term “multi-rated USE conductors.” This term is undefined, but based on the documentation connected to the change, and the reference is intended to describe Type USE cable that also has a building wire rating, such as USE-2/RHW-2 or the like.”

Excerpt From
McGraw-Hill's National Electrical Code (NEC) 2017 Handbook, 29th Edition
Frederic P. Hartwell & Joseph F. McPartland
This material may be protected by copyright.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
I think Use-2 can be used inside if I am not mistaken.. I'll see if I can find info on it

Reactions: Majewski

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
If it is USE-2 then it should also be marked Rhw, Rhw-2, Use-2 and Rhh, Rhw and the others are allowed inside a building. Use cannot be but Use-2 can be used inside, The following is from here but I am sure there are other sources

USE-2 is a good choice for industrial applications where better insulation toughness and resistance to moisture and heat are desired. USE-2 can be used as RHW-2 or RHH cable at temperatures up to 90°C in wet or dry locations.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
A true USE or URD does not have a vertical flame rating and cannot be used in a building but Use-2 clearly can be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU !!for that...why dosnt it state that in the code book?..i quess the manufacturer of the wire can override NEC if it stated...Do they make a URD that be used for both inside and out?... He also failed because i had 4/0 AL on a 200 amp breaker. He said because its a commercial install even though my load calculation was under 180 amps..

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,242 Posts
THANK YOU !!for that...why dosnt it state that in the code book?..i quess the manufacturer of the wire can override NEC if it stated...Do they make a URD that be used for both inside and out?... He also failed because i had 4/0 AL on a 200 amp breaker. He said because its a commercial install even though my load calculation was under 180 amps..
It does state it in the code book. It's dual rated.
It's like failing you for using THHN conductors for underground conduit, when the conductor is dual rated THHN/THWN.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well crapola.

You gonna capitulate and change it or are you going to try to educate the inspector?
Once i find the code reference to veriify that all i need is aa 180 amp load calculation ..i really dont want to surrender !

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
Here is the section. It doesn't say anything about commercial or dwelling only

240.4(B) Overcurrent Devices Rated 800 Amperes or Less. The next higher standard overcurrent device rating (above the ampacity of the conductors being protected) shall be permitted to be used, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The conductors being protected are not part of a branch circuit supplying more than one receptacle for cord-and-plug-connected portable loads.
(2) The ampacity of the conductors does not correspond with the standard ampere rating of a fuse or a circuit breaker without overload trip adjustments above its rating (but that shall be permitted to have other trip or rating adjustments).
(3) The next higher standard rating selected does not exceed 800 amperes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the section. It doesn't say anything about commercial or dwelling only
What he showed me said single family only( I wish I would have wrote it down and remembered it but I was frustrated)..i cant find anything that says that..darn!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
Did he show you section 315.15(B)(7)-- that number may be different based on code year you are using. Either way he is incorrect

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What he showed me said single family only( I wish I would have wrote it down and remembered it but I was frustrated)..i cant find anything that says that..darn!
Did he show you section 315.15(B)(7)-- that number may be different based on code year you are using. Either way he is incorrect
AJH has finale say..ill ask around to see how the other AJHs feel

1 - 20 of 57 Posts