Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer with an older sub panel in the guest house that was installed with SEU in RMC underground and under a patio for a total of 170 feet. Now they are selling and the HI wrote up the 3 wire sub panel. I told them we need a new feeder but they want me to use the old RMC for the grounding. It is probably 30 years old, not wrapped or coated and rusted where it enters the ground. I told them I wouldn't do it for liability reasons, even if it tests good now how much longer can it last? I have seen this stuff disintegrate after less than 20 years in our high alkali soil. Of course they will probably find someone else to do it but I feel comfortable that I made the right call, what would you do?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
If there are electrodes and a bonding jumper at the garage, the installation was legal when it was installed and is grandfathered in as a result.

Regrounding the neutral at the garage is likely a whole lot safer than relying on a piece of corroded conduit as the only means to clear a fault.

I woulda told them they could keep it for free, they can pay me to knock it down to a 120V feeder and repurpose one of the conductors as an EGC, or I can charge them a bunch more to install a new 4-wire feeder.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there are electrodes and a bonding jumper at the garage, the installation was legal when it was installed and is grandfathered in as a result.

Regrounding the neutral at the garage is likely a whole lot safer than relying on a piece of corroded conduit as the only means to clear a fault.

I woulda told them they could keep it for free, they can pay me to knock it down to a 120V feeder and repurpose one of the conductors as an EGC, or I can charge them a bunch more to install a new 4-wire feeder.
Not a garage, it's a guest house with metallic water pipes. 120 is not an option, AC, water heater, dryer, stove. I don't believe is was ever a legal installation.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I would and and add a GR for good luck.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Not a garage, it's a guest house with metallic water pipes. 120 is not an option, AC, water heater, dryer, stove. I don't believe is was ever a legal installation.

I would and and add a GR for good luck. Also bonding to the water system will help. I don't care for people who run cable in conduit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.