Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon:

I have never used USEB cable for an underground service to a home, but seen it used recently. Not being cheeky, but if I spelled the designation correctly, it has aluminum conductors with a copper concentric neutral, and a simple rubber covering around all three. I'm sure members have seen it more often than I have, which is once! ;)

What is the consensus here?

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Never used it.. wonder what it costs. If I go in the ground, I just use ACWU.
Reasonably priced, I think ~ $9 a meter for 100 amp service, I've seen at a supplier site. Does that sound right? I have never used it!

I use PVC conduit with copper! Over 20 years ago did a few, same way.

Been a while since I have even looked at jobs like this. ;)

Thanks, Borgi

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,080 Posts
Afternoon:

I have never used USEB cable for an underground service to a home, but seen it used recently. Not being cheeky, but if I spelled the designation correctly, it has aluminum conductors with a copper concentric neutral, and a simple rubber covering around all three. I'm sure members have seen it more often than I have, which is once! ;)

What is the consensus here?

Thanks, Borgi
USEI seems to have taken over the market.
Both do the job, and seem to be close to the same price per meter

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Copper is too rich for my blood! I'm all aluminum all the time!

I don't think I have ever done a 100A service.. but that sounds like nice pricing.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Every house in Edmonton has this. Well new houses with UG services. That would be 400,000 or so.

Now it's put in by a third party contractor(s). Rare for an electrician wiring the house to also do the service.

Prior to the 3rd party guys the power company did it.

Now I just did a OH service to to a garage and run pvc from there to the house. When given the option the home owner opted to pay for copper in the pvc.

Most services in Edmonton are 100 amp. Plenty in the land of oil.

·
Estwing magic
26,419 Posts
Reasonably priced, I think ~ $9 a meter for 100 amp service, I've seen at a supplier site. Does that sound right? I have never used it!

I use PVC conduit with copper! Over 20 years ago did a few, same way.

Been a while since I have even looked at jobs like this. ;)

Thanks, Borgi
Can't remember what I have paid but $9 a meter sounds high. I would talk the customer into larger conductor size for future anyway. Had an acreage job last year where the customer did a ton of upgrades. Was able to do a simple panel swap rather than trench through trees and under a road. Increased to 150 amp because the larger service conductors were already there.

·
Estwing magic
26,419 Posts
Had one municipality that wanted the USEB run through PVC conduit under the driveway regardless of depth. Not a code requirement but a local requirement. Just a heads up :) .

·
Electrical Contractor
5,080 Posts
Wonder if there is an advantage to USEI? Never heard of it before until now.
The only advantage I can think of, is the concentric neutral maybe would give some protection to the hots.
Don't really see USEI much any more

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Now it's put in by a third party contractor(s). Rare for an electrician wiring the house to also do the service.

Prior to the 3rd party guys the power company did it.
Ya, the one I seen was third party, they do most of the underground services in that jurisdiction.

Where I come from, the utility Ontario Hydro, ran it in a duct supplied by the home owner. At that time, Well over 20 yrs ago, I used 4" tile drainage pipe, that was the norm.

First one out west was an underground failure of direct burial wire from our garage feeding a sub in the house. We put the new copper feed in PVC.

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What are you bonding to?

In this case that box is metal. I Shut the power off at the pole and climbed up that ladder to check connections! Originally it was an overhead feed. Inside that box was USEB cable, connected to the original copper mast conductors.

The metal box was bonded using the mast pipe and a metal bushing on the inside, and obviously I couldn't see the back. I would of tried to pull a bond up to that box, but I also would have just entered the panel in the basement directly!

My brother held the ladder for me as this out of shape fat guy went up that cheap ladder, ( not mine ). I said to my brother, " how the f... did I get roped into this? " :laughing:

Thanks, Borgi

·
Electrical Contractor
5,080 Posts
My house used to have pink siding too, until 'she who must be obeyed' put her foot down:eek:
Only took 15 years, I was getting to it:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm confused. This is used for service connection, from the utility point of connection to the meter socket. Two hots and a neutral.
Ya, the cable is in PVC when out of ground to that box, and up the utility pole for 15' or so, then continues up the pole where connections are made. I assume the cable is direct bury in-between, but I don't know, and hope I never have to find out! :mad:

No need for a bond in that case! Other jurisdictions, and or utilities are stricter perhaps? This is in rural Alberta! No issue for me, as long as it's buried deep, three feet anyway, and plenty of fine sand! Alberta talked about putting that, or similar wording, in the Standata.

Thanks, Borgi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.