Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My nephew has a four year degree in Classical Studies from St. John's University = Plato, Herodotus, Homer, Aristotle. You get the idea.
$330,000 education, he paints houses.
And they all are on the knees begging Biden to forgive their debt. :oops:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have one kid working on his MBA part time. The other has his Master’s in English Literature. They both have great jobs related to their degrees and own a $700,000.00 house together. They’re doing just fine.
The truly sad part of this statement is $700,000 ain't even close to what it was only a few years ago when it comes to houses.:(

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
3,616 Posts
When I worked at a SH years ago I interviewed a guy who had majored in world religions. :oops::rolleyes:
I had a guy with a PHD in physics apply once (and I gave him a shot). The guy was a wealth of knowledge, but didn't make it in electrical construction. That one really surprised me.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have one kid working on his MBA part time. The other has his Master’s in English Literature. They both have great jobs related to their degrees and own a $700,000.00 house together. They’re doing just fine.
I bet "DAD" has something to do with their successes. :)

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,956 Posts
That's a good thing, Unfortunately I think it's the minority.

There's nothing wrong with college, or higher education, IF it fits ones goals and abilities. We need doctors, engineers (yes we do), teachers etc. However it's the the young and impressionable minds that are pressured into getting degrees, any degree, just so their high school can use them as a statistic, which ends up in failure for so many.

I don't like the BS of , "Well I was only 18 when I signed the papers I didn't know any better" Yeah, tell that to some kid jumping off a helicopter in Afghanistan.

There is plenty of blame here though, from the bankers that wrote $100,00 loan to an unemployed teenager, to the higher learning institutions themselves for taking the money from them.

·
Estwing magic
27,428 Posts
That's a good thing, Unfortunately I think it's the minority.

There's nothing wrong with college, or higher education, IF it fits ones goals and abilities. We need doctors, engineers (yes we do), teachers etc. However it's the the young and impressionable minds that are pressured into getting degrees, any degree, just so their high school can use them as a statistic, which ends up in failure for so many.

I don't like the BS of , "Well I was only 18 when I signed the papers I didn't know any better" Yeah, tell that to some kid jumping off a helicopter in Afghanistan.

There is plenty of blame here though, from the bankers that wrote $100,00 loan to an unemployed teenager, to the higher learning institutions themselves for taking the money from them.
Most of my kid’s friends are highly educated and successful. One is a doctor and looks like a teenage nerd. You can find winners (and losers) in any career path.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
In high school my district had the counselors trying to herd us into one particular field or another, like teenagers know what they want to do for a living.

I didn't apply myself until I was paying for my own education, and started to see what I did and did not want to do. After two years I moved on to use what I learned for about 5 years before my work became irrelevant/obsolete. 2008-2009 were bad years on top of that. One thing that I found attractive about the trades is that it is always in demand, and is never outdated to the point of enduring a layoff. That's where information technology and digital design fall short - it is always outdated, in a matter of years. One must relearn from the ground up annually and I grew tired of that. The only benefit I have from that education is the software I purchased, which is what I designed my branding and advertisements with.

I learned some ignorant opinions from the "higher education" I received, and for a few years looked down my nose at those who were not college educated. Obviously, the youth are easily manipulated and it took years in unskilled labor, law enforcement and the trades to have a more informed, rounded opinion of others.

This is why I will not tell my kids that college is "bad" . Everyone takes their own journey and learns their own way. If I skipped college entirely I would not have applied myself for what I've chosen for a living.

·
Estwing magic
27,428 Posts
In high school my district had the counselors trying to herd us into one particular field or another, like teenagers know what they want to do for a living.

I didn't apply myself until I was paying for my own education, and started to see what I did and did not want to do. After two years I moved on to use what I learned for about 5 years before my work became irrelevant/obsolete. 2008-2009 were bad years on top of that. One thing that I found attractive about the trades is that it is always in demand, and is never outdated to the point of enduring a layoff. That's where information technology and digital design fall short - it is always outdated, in a matter of years. One must relearn from the ground up annually and I grew tired of that. The only benefit I have from that education is the software I purchased, which is what I designed my branding and advertisements with.

I learned some ignorant opinions from the "higher education" I received, and for a few years looked down my nose at those who were not college educated. Obviously, the youth are easily manipulated and it took years in unskilled labor, law enforcement and the trades to have a more informed, rounded opinion of others.

This is why I will not tell my kids that college is "bad" . Everyone takes their own journey and learns their own way. If I skipped college entirely I would not have applied myself for what I've chosen for a living.
My kid studied English Lit because he wanted to write storyboards for video games. Thankfully, his career went in a very different direction. He could have been stuck in a tedious, cubicle job in a video game factory.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,398 Posts
Sadly, this is becoming the exception rather than the rule these days...........

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's all move to Canada... our country is falling apart. A friend of mine just paid $172.00 for a tank of diesel for his pickup truck.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts