Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have good success using a holesaw for making KO's in steel.

I have been using a hydraulic KO punch set, but even making the first hole, our Unibit was too dull.

Tried using a brand new Milwaukee holesaw for a 2 1/2" in Nema 3R box, and killed it fast.

Any Tips ?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,479 Posts
Use a plywood jig to keep your oil in place.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those uni-bits are garbage for drilling holes in steal.. IMO....

They dull easily and are way over priced..

I start out with a 1/4" bit.. then 3/8 and use the punch with slim post and 1/2" KO....
Wut !!!! Worth every cent

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
he still uses a pager

don't listen to him
Oh you mean the paging devise that has NEVER missed a call and even worked 100% during superstorm Sandy...

Even works is the basement of a commercial building..

Make all the jokes you want.. works 100% of the time when customers need to reach me NOW.. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have (7) of them and they all suck when drilling holes in a panel..

WOW.. just WOW.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sorry, disagree

I once had my helper ruin a $56. dollar 1" Unibit, drilling Stainless Steel. Probably could have pulled it off by drilling slow rpms using cutting oil.

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Do those cut clean round holes, or start oversizing like the regular holesaws do ?
They cut good. The arbor is the same arbor from the hole saw kits. The 1/2 and 3/4 arbor is effective, but it jams up. I use mine any time I can. I even use it to blast a hole for the ko set if I need a bigger hole. I use a little cutting oil usually, but it does fine without.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Oh you mean the paging devise that has NEVER missed a call and even worked 100% during superstorm Sandy...

Even works is the basement of a commercial building..

Make all the jokes you want.. works 100% of the time when customers need to reach me NOW.. :thumbsup:
sometimes I laugh at you

sometimes I feel sorry for you

with that remark Im not sure which way I should go

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I always preach the carbide cutters. Unibits are nice and they have their place but I don't believe they're the best option for new holes. My method is center punch, 5/32 pilot hole, 1/2 or 3/4 carbide, KO punch. I've been doing it this way for a while and make a ton of holes every day. Jobber bits are super cheap (or free depending where you work), and you can easily get a couple years out of a carbide bit if you take care of it

1 - 20 of 115 Posts