Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my job as an electrician 3 months ago. I work for a small company that gives u one week after you work there for a year. BUT, the journeymen there have worked for 10 years and still only gotten one week. One guy has been there for 30 years and has two weeks of vacation. I don’t wanna stay here long because of this. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Get a good base but be looking for a company with an apprenticeship program. If you want vacation and health insurance the bigger the company the better.

Downside is it’s tougher to stand out with the big shops.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,024 Posts
I cant believe that " there is no federal or state statutory minimum paid vacation or paid public holidays. Paid leave is at the discretion of the employers to its employees "
just about every country in the world has legislated holidays.
talk about a Dickensian work social system

List of minimum annual leave by country - Wikipedia

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Get a good base but be looking for a company with an apprenticeship program. If you want vacation and health insurance the bigger the company the better.

Downside is it’s tougher to stand out with the big shops.
I will agree to some extent. Big companies are great in the fact that they usually pay better and offer better benifit programs. Small companies however, very often offer opportunities to do jobs that you never get to see working at a large company, and very often you will get exposed to many different parts of the trade than you ever would at a large company.

Its a trade off. But when your just starting out, Id probably recommend a bigger company simply for the better pay.

·
Premium Member
19,489 Posts
I just started my job as an electrician 3 months ago. I work for a small company that gives u one week after you work there for a year. BUT, the journeymen there have worked for 10 years and still only gotten one week. One guy has been there for 30 years and has two weeks of vacation. I don’t wanna stay here long because of this. Any recommendations?
Our working agreement provides for ZERO paid time off including vacation, sick days, mental health days, personal reflection days, maturity, zero, nothing.
When I was working with my tools, I don't remember ever having a paid minute off, that was just the deal. The people negotiating our contract just thought we would set aside money for our own vacations.
When I first started in the trade, we had, by agreement, $10 per week taken out of our pay and put into a credit union. Everyone hated that. The guys would wait for it to hit $50 and go clean out their account, their wives thought they had a little money saved and it only lead to problems.
Back then, electricians made fantastic money and could put away some bank.
Now, the pay has not kept up. SUNS O BITCHES

CategoryAvg Inflation (%)Total Inflation (%)$18 in 1985 → 2021
Food and beverages2.67158.3146.49
Housing2.66157.6346.37
Apparel0.3714.2020.56
Transportation2.07109.3637.68
Medical care4.34361.4683.06
Recreation1.1249.2126.86
Education and communication1.8291.7334.51
Other goods and services4.01312.1274.18

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
Our working agreement provides for ZERO paid time off including vacation, sick days, mental health days, personal reflection days, maturity, zero, nothing.
Luckily it paid this guy ^^^ a hill of money so he can stuff a pillow with $100 bills, sit crosslegged on it and gaze at his navel every day, and make up for all those years without meditation days.

To the OP, like everything else, look at the total value of your compensation - wages of course but also benefits and PTO.
Would you rather work for $30/hr and get two weeks paid time off, or for $32/hour and you don't get paid on vacation?

You could work 1920 hours at $30 and get paid for 2000 and make $60,000,

or you could work 1920 hours at $32 and get paid for 1920 and make $61,440,

which is the better deal? Easy, the one that pays more. Of course that's not the whole picture, you still don't know which one pays more - if the one that pays $30 / hour pays more towards health insurance and retirement, it still might be the better job.

Look at the long game too, by getting into whatever apprenticeship and path to licensing works in your area, you make yourself more valuable and that will lead to more money in the future.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,535 Posts
If this is just an electrician helper job with no guarantee or paperwork at the end start looking now. I don't mean for you to quit, but look hard for a formal program. THAT is worth more than money and time off.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I was working for the IBEW I got no vacation with pay and holidays off, but no pay.
Just the way the contract was.

Working as a non-union Electrical Techician I got two weeks of paid time off as soon as I completed the 90 day probation period.
9 paid holidays, 3 bereavement days and 5 sick days.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,535 Posts
Freaking genuis. Quote of the century right there boys!

Now just convince someone under the age of 35 of that.
HaHa my son is in that group.

Just my time off adds $9.46/hour into my pay.
For a single person it is $8 a week for medical insurance. @ $4.00/hr
they add 7% 401K. is $3.00/hour

So add $16.46/hr for basic benefits I get, there is more.
When I was looking to hire last month I asked an EC what he paid and gave his guys.
He paid $3.00/hr more but they only get half of the benefits I give.
Overall I am about $8.00/hr more pay, even though he was more per hour.

·
Registered
557 Posts
These types of threads seem to come up routinely - and they usually carry on like there's only 2 choices (IBEW or not.)

Get your journeyman's qualification. Then you have portability. Shop around, try a few employers. Also try some shift work. If you like to work union, get into a non-IBEW shop - completely different scene. There's pensions, bennies, paid-time off, OT always paid at 2x, shift differentials, annually-incrementing-vacations, compressed work weeks, etc. You just need to find them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There's definitely more to look at in addition to the $/hr. For the most part, work environment doesn't affect me because i can usually work with anyone. But some places are so toxic that you can't get past it. I wonder why these other guys hang around at this place if it's so bad...
I used to think there was a relation between low pay and excellent bosses but I've since proven that to be untrue.
There's definitely value in a formal program, i would look for training everywhere as a beginner.
I learned long ago that being exposed to a variety of experiences helps immensely. You won't master everything, but you'll have seen it before and that will help in a couple ways: you might find a niche you enjoy more, you'll (theoretically) appreciate other specialties.

If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not your ball."
-Old Yeller

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,535 Posts
Get your journeyman's qualification. Then you have portability.
That is the big problem down here, not all states are equal. In some states if it is not union there is no such thing as a journeyman card/qualification. Not all state will let you test in if you come from another state. That is why most say go the union the route because then you have something that in most cases is accepted as qualifications.

Reactions: HertzHound

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,631 Posts
13 vacation, 13 sick, 10 admin, 10 paid holidays, normally 4-6 additional payed holidays from day one. Next year i think i get a extra 2 vacation and 2 sick.
Downside is salary so one or two days a year im working for nothing.

Like cowboy said its working out what the package is worth financially and what its worth to you. Im old and no longer want to work 7 days a week so this suits me fine but when i was younger i would have wanted all the OT and money available.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That is the big problem down here, not all states are equal. In some states if it is not union there is no such thing as a journeyman card/qualification.
Wow. That's a bit of an eye opener.

I'm wholly grateful for my IBEW apprenticeship, however... (hindsight being what it is) had I begun with my current employer as a labourer/helper instead, I'd be 8 more years ahead on this pension, and had the opportunity for an in-house apprenticeship eventually anyway.

Anyway, just tossing in a perspective that doesn't hinge so much on certification.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,754 Posts
I cant believe that " there is no federal or state statutory minimum paid vacation or paid public holidays. Paid leave is at the discretion of the employers to its employees "
just about every country in the world has legislated holidays.
talk about a Dickensian work social system

List of minimum annual leave by country - Wikipedia
It also says in THE EXACT SAME PARAGRAPH "Similarly, 77% of private employers give their employees paid time off during public holidays, on average 8 holidays per year.[189][190] Some employers offer no vacation at all.[191] The average number of paid vacation days offered by private employers is 10 days after 1 year of service, 14 days after 5 years, 17 days after 10 years, and 20 days after 20 years."

Some of us don't like to depend on the government for everything. If you don't like your job (or the benefits) you find another one. If an employer benefits (or salary) sucks, they wind up with the lousy employees. So the best employees end up in the best positions. That's how capitalism works.

·
Registered
557 Posts
One of the big reasons an employer pays a flat % in lieu of paid-time-off is the lack of job security. Jobs crew up, crew down - no telling when there's a gap between jobs. In paying the %, nothing is owed or forfeited with work shortfall.

So the best employees end up in the best positions. That's how capitalism should work.
FIFY.

Too simplistic. Huge numbers of 'best employees' are stuck in their positions for one reason or another. A pension - in particular - doesn't let you change employers (or unions) willy-nilly.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,535 Posts
A pension - in particular - doesn't let you change employers (or unions) willy-nilly.
Down here they stopped employer pensions years ago, mostly. They went with 401K matching usually with short vestment time. It does make for job hoppers to have no loyalty and companies to have you become just a number

1 - 20 of 21 Posts