Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys normally get for vacation? Im staring my first job as an apprentice next Monday and long story short we determined I will receive a week vacation when I choose. But I have to report it ahead of time of course, seems pretty great to me! Thoughts?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I forget what a vacation is. One coming up soon though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
When I started my first job, vacation was the last thing on my mind.

I can take all the vacation time I want, un paid. Usually I take long weekends. I have probably only taken four full week vacations with this company in 25 years. Although I did have six months off in '91

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
When I took this last job, the maximum pay for the job was less than I was making at the job I had, so I negotiated more vacation time because I really wanted the job. Unfortunately I hardly ever use it. Here in California they don't allow the "use it or lose it" rules, so I have 10 weeks built up, I'll get another 3 in April. I'm going to use a lot of it next year to go to New Zealand though.

Typical though for entry level is one week after a year, two weeks after 3 to 5, 3 weeks after 10 or so, then some places let it go higher. Hardly anyone works at one place long enough to find out any more however.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Paid vacation

1 week after 6 moths

2 weeks after 1 year

3 weeks after 7 years

4 weeks after 15 years

5 weeks after 25 years

Required to take 1 week of vacation per year, can carry the remainder over to the next year.

When I retired I got a separate check for 8 weeks of vacation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Paid vacay:

11days first 5 years. (+3 personal/yr too)

16 days after 5 years

21 days after 10 years (+4 personal/yr)

26 days after 15 years (+5 personal/yr)

Must take vacay, pick them in order of seniority. If you don't use personal days by Thanksgiving they pay you for them.

12 paid holidays, plus veteran's day if you're a vet.

·
More than lead and elbows
579 Posts
In my old local we never got paid vacation. Now at my local/poco I get almost 36 paid days off a year! 12 sick, 12 vacation, and 12 holidays!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ours is "take what you can afford." I prefer it this way. We make good money so it is up to you to put some aside for yourself.

Vacation pay is overrated. Give me my money upfront and I'll decide how and when to use it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts