Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you are babysitting a company due to their now lack of licensing from a death, divorce, etc.... and it should be temp, will you still be able to do your own stuff either officially or not officially (insurance, permit wise, etc...)?

Before I passed my state test, I had to have a backup plan in case my dad reached the end of the rainbow. I was looking for someone to be able to deal with the permits, etc....

If they instead want to keep you or join with you and be active that is a different story.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
electricmanscott said:
Hypothetical situation. :whistling2: I have a master license. Company does not but needs one. Aside from other skills, abilities, and job functions, what do you think reasonable compensation would be if hired as an employee?
That's a tough one to assign a number to. Are you going to manage , quote jobs ,ect.
There in a tight spot if they don't have a master.
Percentage if said job profits maybe!!

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
How does your state law work? In mine, my license can only be associated with 1 business. So if I was going to use my license for another company, they would have to compensate me at least what I was making at that time or what I felt I would be reasonably making the next year.

That's not counting the salary I would expect for whatever work (if any) I was to do for the company.

I know employees of companies who use their license for only $5-10K extra per year. That's not worth it, you can use your license to make more money doing a few Saturday sidejob service changes.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hypothetical situation. :whistling2: I have a master license. Company does not but needs one. Aside from other skills, abilities, and job functions, what do you think reasonable compensation would be if hired as an employee?
If you become the master for 'Bill's Electric' you have to have the board change the name on your license and pay the fee.

That would make the sign on your truck and anything else illegal unless they allow you to hold more than one master license , I don't think that will fly.

So unless you're giving up your business it's not worth it anyhow.

18.01: Rules Governing Practice

(2) A licensee shall only engage in the electrical trade or otherwise conduct business in the name printed on his or her license. Any sign, advertisement or other business communication of a Master electrician (Class A) or Journeyman electrician (Class B) or Systems Contractor (Class C) shall indicate the type of license and the license number.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you become the master for 'Bill's Electric' you have to have the board change the name on your license and pay the fee.

That would make the sign on your truck and anything else illegal unless they allow you to hold more than one master license , I don't think that will fly.

So unless you're giving up your business it's not worth it anyhow.
I will be giving up my business, hypothetically of course. :thumbsup:

Suppose I assign my masters to whatever company how does it affect my journeymans? I can call the board and ask these questions but I figured someone here might know.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Suppose I assign my masters to whatever company how does it affect my journeymans? I can call the board and ask these questions but I figured someone here might know.
It would not effect your Journeymen license at all, so if your sign is your real name you would be fine, You would just take your masters license number off and put up your journeymen license number and get away with it that way..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Just a thought to your question - does your state allow multi trade companies? I think, hypothetically of course :whistling2:, that you would have a better shot at a salary (and lifestyle) that's close to what you enjoy now, if you could be a license holder for a plumbing or Hvac company, so as to further expand their business. Just a thought of course, but Ive got a good reason behind it.

There are a few guys around here that "advertise" from time to time, that they have a company, customers, tools and all the work you could possibly imagine.....they just need someone with a license to qualify their business. I don't buy it. I think the guys are usually not looking to compensate the license holders properly, they just need a means to get around whatever legal bind is in front of them, and conduct business as usual. I don't think this is in the best interests of the license holder. I think its the other way around. Of course, this is just my opinion, maybe not the same as others.

Now. Lets talk about the other idea. The plumbing or Hvac company that might be interested in this sort of business marriage - they would be in it for the added benefit of running a larger business, with a much larger amount of work that they could now tackle. And of course, the shot at ALOT more money. You have something to offer, they have something to offer. You handle the electrical side of their business, they reap the rewards of you running an electrical division for them. They provide you with a much more serious compensation package than you would get just going back to work for somebody. I would think, hypothetically of course :whistling2:, that this would be the closest you could get to pay scale that you are accustomed to, without everything that you have grown to dislike.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
How does your state law work? In mine, my license can only be associated with 1 business.
Does that mean your license would have to be legally transferred to the other business? So, Hackwork Electric would now be DBA Joe Blow Electric? If you did a job for one of your old customers would they have to make payment to Joe Blow Electric?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Does that mean your license would have to be legally transferred to the other business? So, Hackwork Electric would now be DBA Joe Blow Electric? If you did a job for one of your old customers would they have to make payment to Joe Blow Electric?
In NJ you have a license and a business permit associated with each other. The license is for the person, the business permit is for the company.

I would change my business permit from HackWork Electric to Joe Blow Electric.

HackWork Electric would no longer be able to do electrical work.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Totally different by state. Here you need a contractors license to become an EC. And you can't get a contractors license without having your masters license or employing someone who does. I don't think you could command a whole lot more money for having your masters license but it's nice to have. I plan on testing for mine next year and just leaving it inactive until I need it

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Well, how well do you remember the not so hypothetical job experience circa 2010/11?

Hypothetically, you would become an employee? You would report to whom? Of course you would need final control over electrical decisions.

As far as the dollar value, it depends on how bad you want this to happen. I would think a % of profit would be on the table for me, better yet, a smaller % of the sale and let the business figure out how to make money.

What would your job description be?

·
Registered
448 Posts
This could be a great opportunity but I would look into having an employment contract listing compensation, benefits and any kind of severance package. They might say you're asking for a lot but, you're giving up a lot too. At least if things don't work out you can land on your feet.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.