Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my own EC last summer and used every cent i had to get all the necessities. licensees, insurance, etc etc. when i bought my van, it came with the single stand alone metal shelf. not wanting to spend a lot of steel shelving, i came up with this. the grey plastic bins near the back of the van are wall mount containers that hinge open. got them years ago from ikea, but never used them until now. they house a majority of plastic boxes.

the steel shelve holds metal boxes, breakers, tools, and other heavy items. its good, but way too small to hold everything i want to have on the van. this weekend at walmart, i spotted the clear white 3 drawer pieces for a total of $65 bucks. in these i have all my devices, plates, pvc fittings, bulbs and other light weight items. the last of the homemade storage are the 3 bins on the floor, they are attached to a piece of plywood which is strapped in place. they hold all the big items. cordless tools, parts bins of hardware, sledge hammer.

all in all it cost me less than a hundred bucks, and a few hours of my time. also, it doesn't make sense to install heavy shelving to hold lightweight stock. i only do resi work, so for the time being, i am satisfied.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You know what as long as it works who really cares. My vans are under a constant change OCD style it seems. Just remember you have to start somewhere and it's probably going to evolve and change as you go. When I got my first van after going on my own stuff was put in peace meal when needed and money allowed.

·
332 Posts
I say roll with it!! You'll figure out if its gonna work or not. Some things will, some won't. You got to start somewhere. I still got a plastic "snapware" tote I bought at lowes 7 or 8 years ago. It's been in probably 70-80 new home trim outs. It holds all the small things you need: wire nuts of all sizes, flex fittings of all shapes and sizes, screws of all lengths and diameters, bolts of all lengths and diameters, drywall anchors, washers, etc...if I could find a few more, I'd buy them up.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts
for now it works for what i need it for. in the future when money gets less tight, proper shelving will be purchased.
KISS.....Invest in new stuff only when you have the capital to actually buy it, and when your actually need it. No reason to go into debt if it is working for your little start up!

I started in the back of my Ford Ranger. It lasted for about a year then it was off to a van with shelves and a rack, now it keeps going......All paid with cash and debt free!

Keep up the work, you'll get there in now time!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I started my own EC last summer and used every cent i had to get all the necessities. licensees, insurance, etc etc. when i bought my van, it came with the single stand alone metal shelf. not wanting to spend a lot of steel shelving, i came up with this. the grey plastic bins near the back of the van are wall mount containers that hinge open. got them years ago from ikea, but never used them until now. they house a majority of plastic boxes.

the steel shelve holds metal boxes, breakers, tools, and other heavy items. its good, but way too small to hold everything i want to have on the van. this weekend at walmart, i spotted the clear white 3 drawer pieces for a total of $65 bucks. in these i have all my devices, plates, pvc fittings, bulbs and other light weight items. the last of the homemade storage are the 3 bins on the floor, they are attached to a piece of plywood which is strapped in place. they hold all the big items. cordless tools, parts bins of hardware, sledge hammer.

all in all it cost me less than a hundred bucks, and a few hours of my time. also, it doesn't make sense to install heavy shelving to hold lightweight stock. i only do resi work, so for the time being, i am satisfied.
Looks good..:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.