Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I just stated my own business this year, I have primarily worked in commercial and industrial jobs before going on my own. Anyway the inspector on a new house I wired came to do final inspection. He stated that all electrical boxes on a outside wall had to be vapor tight and it was a code violation if they weren't. I cannot find anywhere to support this claim. He wants me to cut open the finished walls to replace all the boxes. I also questioned why he didn't tell me when he did the rough inspection. I told him to basically F$#% himself. But I do want to know what the code is for this so I can avoid on the next job. Thanks!

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I'm thinking that may be energy code driven. i.e. gaskets that seal to the back of the vapor barrier and/or sheetrock.

The inspector still owes you a code section.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Not going to attempt to defend your inspector or your work. It sounds like you might have made an honest mistake and, if it is a code requirement, so did the inspector by not catching it on the rough.

Telling him to f-off might have been a bit extreme IMHO. I would still ask for the ADOPTED code and section you have violated.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I told him that because he could only tell me no that they were in the code look it up. He would no reference where. Until he does I'm not cutting every box out. If it is a mistake I will fix it.
Not sure about the laws in WI but I would find it strange that you have no method to appeal the inspectors decision. And, if said inspector doesn't provide the section you have allegedly violated what would you appeal?

Pete

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Not sure about the laws in WI but I would find it strange that you have no method to appeal the inspectors decision. And, if said inspector doesn't provide the section you have allegedly violated what would you appeal?

Pete

You'd be appealing the red tag. It would be pretty cut-n-dried if the AHJ can't back up the requirement.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think this is what you are looking for....

SPS 322.38  Vapor Barriers.
(2) Frame assemblies. (a) General. Except as provided under par. (c), all frame walls, frame floors and frame ceilings that comprise the thermal envelope, shall have a vapor barrier installed on the warm-in-winter side of the thermal insulation.

Since you are cutting the vapor barrier to "access" the box, you need a way to reseal it. As I said before, simply caulking satisfies this in my experience, but since you pissed off the inspector, I don't know what he will require.

What area of the state?

"vapor barriers" is actually a different word in the code, but the forum language police doesn't like that word

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this is what you are looking for....

SPS 322.38  Vapor Barriers.
(2) Frame assemblies. (a) General. Except as provided under par. (c), all frame walls, frame floors and frame ceilings that comprise the thermal envelope, shall have a vapor barrier installed on the warm-in-winter side of the thermal insulation.

Since you are cutting the vapor barrier to "access" the box, you need a way to reseal it. As I said before, simply caulking satisfies this in my experience, but since you pissed off the inspector, I don't know what he will require.

What area of the state?

"vapor barriers" is actually a different word in the code, but the forum language police doesn't like that word
I'm near Appleton, where do you normally apply caulk? Before the drywall is hung? Thanks for the reference to state code, haven't had other inspectors say anything to me on other resi jobs.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Stupid auto correct final. Inspection
The inspector is at fault here he should have said he was going to enforce the 2009 energy cold rules on boxes on outside walls,making you cut open the walls after passing the rough ? He's got not pot to piss in,in my opinion.

He clearly is trying to knock you out of business by making you look bad in front of your client.

Totally unprofessional conduct on his part.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.