Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pull a permit today and got turned down because we're putting two pot lights into an insulated ceiling. The GC now has to pull a building permit in order to book an inspection to verify the integrity of the vapour barrier after we install the pot lights. Once he gets the building permit, I can get my electrical permit.

I told the building inspector we would be putting in blue boots and he said it still needed to be inspected by a building inspector. I asked him about AT retrofit cans and he said the same thing. Even if we fish wire into an exterior wall and install a new device box, it needs to be inspected by a building inspector.

I'm not complaining here. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like lots of extra time/people/costs involved that will only get passed down to the customer at the end of it all.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I went to pull a permit today and got turned down because we're putting two pot lights into an insulated ceiling. The GC now has to pull a building permit in order to book an inspection to verify the integrity of the vapour barrier after we install the pot lights. Once he gets the building permit, I can get my electrical permit.

I told the building inspector we would be putting in blue boots and he said it still needed to be inspected by a building inspector. I asked him about AT retrofit cans and he said the same thing. Even if we fish wire into an exterior wall and install a new device box, it needs to be inspected by a building inspector.

I'm not complaining here. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
Talk about having no confidence in the electrical inspector:no:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Building departments just looking for easy money!
Same garage going on here.
I got dinged for a 200 dollar permit for a small above ground pool this summer past.
Like they should have any say about a temporary pool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Even with the blue vapor barriers it's almost impossible to make them air tight when fishing in, I hate those jobs. I tried spray foam once which was easier, but expensive. Is the building inspector going to go up into the attic and see your work? I think not.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Just went through the bureaucracy of placing 8 cans in a vaulted ceiling here a few months ago 99

Had to point out to the Archy & his moonbat lighting lady that having cans listed/rated for the application doesn't necessarily mean the warranty for a shingle roof (2-3" away) will apply having 8 holes under it.

The tirade of the high and mighty ensued.....:rolleyes:

My point is, i have no problem with bureaucratic oversight, as long as they're ALL on the same page.

Try and make that happen....:whistling2:

~CS~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.