Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a fleet tracking company and have been reading some of the posts on the forum to help determine what we can do to help our electrician clientele grow.

There have been some helpful threads (like this one) but I thought I'd put it out to the group at large.

What can we do (in terms of feature, reports... anything) to help you grow your business?

(For what it is worth, I chose to reach out to electricians because I apprenticed in this field while I was in school. Definitely one of the most valuable skillsets I learned. Thanks to Maldini Electric in NH for that.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I have a fleet tracking gps in my work vehicle. Just another form of big brother.

~Matt

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
Existing employees hate it and new ones have no choice.

The existing ones may feel like big brother is watching or they may be time bandits and pissed you may be about to ruin their fun.

At present I do not have it and doubt I ever will. My partner wanted it I was dead set against it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I work for a fleet tracking company and have been reading some of the posts on the forum to help determine what we can do to help our electrician clientele grow.
With my fleet tracking company, I'd like to see reports that are downloadable to a spreadsheet with decimal format (vs hh:mm:ss).

I've had gps tracking in my fleet & have to say that I would not have it any other way. Before we had it, I would get reports from my friends & family that they would see my trucks on the road at night & on the weekends. It was something I worried about frequently. There is a certain percentage of people that take your vehicles home that absolutely WILL use your vehicle personally if you don't watch them. I believe that the ones that don't like gps are usually the ones who were using your vehicle personally.

·
Resi Service Electrician
1,257 Posts
I think tracking employees like this can be okay depending on the type of business or type of employee you have. I do electrical service and worked for a company who had gps and we made them take it out. If you don't trust your employee that much to the point where you need to track his every move then I think there is an underlying issue that needs to be tended to rather than gps tracking. Service guys deal with collecting money and deal with customers though which comes with a little trust naturally and if you can't trust them with the vehicle then they should not be in a service vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't trust your employee that much to the point where you need to track his every move then I think there is an underlying issue that needs to be tended to rather than gps tracking.
You're correct that there are underlying issues that people have; however, finding & dealing with underlying issues is difficult; gps tracking is easy.

I'm in business for profit; trucks are expensive assetts and reducing usage keeps the cost down.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
You're correct that there are underlying issues that people have; however, finding & dealing with underlying issues is difficult; gps tracking is easy.

I'm in business for profit; trucks are expensive assetts and reducing usage keeps the cost down.
What I don't like about them is when I was with a company that had them, sometimes I wanted to go places after work because they were close or on the way home, Dr's appointments and stuff like that. Or just stopping and doing errands because your out and about. Unless your paying for the travel time home as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What I don't like about them is when I was with a company that had them, sometimes I wanted to go places after work because they were close or on the way home, Dr's appointments and stuff like that. Or just stopping and doing errands because your out and about. Unless your paying for the travel time home as well.
I agree with you that you should be able to do it & it's a small perk for you. We always grant permission to do this if it's close.

·
Senior Moment
7,793 Posts
I hate electronic spies. Time for ECM (electronic counter measures). Can you say "GPS trackers returned to supplier, the receivers keep burning out and the finals are fried."

·
Banned
36 Posts
If you don't trust your employee that much to the point where you need to track his every move then I think there is an underlying issue that needs to be tended to rather than gps tracking.
If you owned some type of bar/store/shop/etc. with a cash register, would you not put a camera above it? Would you not make sure that the money is correct? Or would you just trust your employees?

·
Resi Service Electrician
1,257 Posts
If you owned some type of bar/store/shop/etc. with a cash register, would you not put a camera above it? Would you not make sure that the money is correct? Or would you just trust your employees?
I think this is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. I was talking about service trucks where someone is left with a big responsibility from customer to customer and are harder to come by then a bartender or cashier. I am not saying that gps are not validated but I think it depends on the type of job. I hope this comes across the way I meant it to.

·
Registered
14,341 Posts
GPS tracking :laughing:

Cause I totally can't rip the tracker out and leave it in my garage and take the truck out for the weekend or anything like that. :shifty:

·
Senior Moment
7,793 Posts
GPS tracking :laughing:

Cause I totally can't rip the tracker out and leave it in my garage and take the truck out for the weekend or anything like that. :shifty:
The antenna is a about 3/4" x 2 1/2 inch strip stuck to the inside bottom corner on the drives side of the windshield. Covering it with a strip of metal duct tape on the outside of the windshield would block it's view of the satellite. Driving 20 miles and uncovering it for 15 minutes then covering it again and driving another twenty miles will drive the them bonkers.:jester:
I take my van home every night and can use it for stops at the store. I am trusted to use my own discretion and I don't abuse it, it is a job perk and also helps the company because I respond to emergency calls from my house instead of driving to the office first. Don't need a tracker to keep me honest, I was raised that way.

·
Registered
31,187 Posts

I trust my employees.

·
I have a black cat.
4,021 Posts
I think tracking employees like this can be okay depending on the type of business or type of employee you have. I do electrical service and worked for a company who had gps and we made them take it out. If you don't trust your employee that much to the point where you need to track his every move then I think there is an underlying issue that needs to be tended to rather than gps tracking. Service guys deal with collecting money and deal with customers though which comes with a little trust naturally and if you can't trust them with the vehicle then they should not be in a service vehicle.
I can't disagree with what you said but, we don't own these vehicles, the company does. Trust issues aside, the owner of the truck I drive can do whatever he wants with it.

It helps with new employees.

A guy could be trustworthy in every aspect of his job but just happens to take very long lunch breaks. It helps with that.

It helps with the rogue douche who seems to think it's cool to do side jobs with the co truck and/or on company time.

I hate gps tracking in general but it's not up to me what my company installs in my truck.

·
I have a black cat.
4,021 Posts
How about just not doing crap you're not supposed to be doing?

I hardly ever even think about the tracker, it's like random 8-32's under the seat, I never remember there even there..

·
Resi Service Electrician
1,257 Posts
I've been on both sides of the gps issue and I just think it tells the tech that he can't be trusted. If you treat an employee right and make sure he is not some tweak it works out pretty well rather than policing him with a tracking device. Again though it depends on what job it is and what kind of responsibilities the employee has.

·
Registered
14,341 Posts
The antenna is a about 3/4" x 2 1/2 inch strip stuck to the inside bottom corner on the drives side of the windshield. Covering it with a strip of metal duct tape on the outside of the windshield would block it's view of the satellite. Driving 20 miles and uncovering it for 15 minutes then covering it again and driving another twenty miles will drive the them bonkers.
:laughing: A friend was looking at self contained ones that didn't have a windshield antenna but decided against them when I put my 2 cents in about someone just taking them off.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts