Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have a spare vehicle? One to use when one goes down unexpectedly, when your truck needs to be serviced for the day?

I saw a great deal on a van, one I don't need at the moment, and bought it. We now have a spare that I am going to outfit and have ready, either for a new guy if I can find one, or just to rotate in and out of operation.

It is giving me a little peace of mind.:)

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Yes, but I let the battery die down so now I have to go get a charger .

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Lots of farm vehicles at my disposal. Then there's always the year's demo car

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of farm vehicles at my disposal. Then there's always the year's demo car
My neighbor farms vehicles! He's got a few growing in the back yard.:laughing::laughing:

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
We will keep the old truck around once we buy a newer one. We might actually buy something smaller and easy on gas for daily use and use the old beast to deliver materials and big ladders to site. We don't do much service work and don't need a warehouse on wheels.

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
We keep the best of our old vans trading the previous one for a spare, keep a 3/4 ton pickup and a one ton stake body for back up and delivery.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I just sold my spare

not worth keeping the insurance on it and having one sitting around not being driven isn't good for it

I would have always worried about putting one into service that had sat around for months

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just sold my spare

not worth keeping the insurance on it and having one sitting around not being driven isn't good for it

I would have always worried about putting one into service that had sat around for months
What about rotating it out?

A while back we had our van go down. I had to rent a vehicle to get us by, and it cost the same amount to rent a vehicle for a month as it would to insure a van for a whole year. Not to mention that it put us out a few days, more lost wages, and they don't have ladder racks, pipe racks, or any shelving.

I'm thinking if I rotate it out, it should be good. We supply all tools except for the basic hand tools, and if I stock them all the same, it would be just a matter of switching out a few things. Should be very simple....in theory.:laughing::blink:

Reactions: David046

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have a spare van the pm was using before we bought a company truck for him to use.
It is 2008 Chevy Express 2500 fully loaded with shelves and rack w/ 35000 miles.

Completely ready to go-I just used it to go to Pensacola to clean up a house we have for sale.Hauled a bunch of antiques back in it with the trailer.

All of my guys take the vans home and report directly to the job site-if a vehicle goes down I have them come get it.
Also, I have a lead helper that I will use on 1 day projects or UG installs and he will use it for those projects.
I only buy used vehicles 15000-65000 miles and I have always had a spare vehicle.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I usually keep one or two service vans in the lot for switching out with techs or (heaven forbid) I need to pickup a call or two.

Its not a big deal to have have old truck sitting out there and its really handy. However, the 8k of tools and dead inventory just kills me. But, i dont see how we can switch out inventory on the side of the road.. Lol.

If your a one man shop, you should own a work van and a personal pick truck. For convenience sake and so your ready to grow.

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
. However, the 8k of tools and dead inventory just kills me. But, i dont see how we can switch out inventory on the side of the road.. Lol.

Our spare van is basically empty, with the type of work we do having a stocked van is not a issue. There may be some minimal material there but no tools.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Our spare is a full sized 4X4 V8 PU , gallons to the mile beast.

It's got a class 3 hitch, and plenty of chain on board

It'll be popular in a month or two when we get this>

~CS~

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I bought a new truck so I don't have to worry about break downs. It's a crazy idea but 1 new vehicle is cheaper than 2 used vehicles.
same here. i had a 2004 e150 that developed mechanical problems at 160k miles. i put it up for sale and got $3600 for it. then took that cash and some of my own to get a 2014 e250. the 2004 needed a new gas tank that they don't even manufacture anymore. now, i'm good for at least 3 years. finance rate was only 1.85% so, even though i have payments, they only are going to make $995 worth of interest if the loan goes full term of 48 months.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
I'll use a personal vehicle if I have to. But it rarely comes to that.

I do all the maintenance on all our equipment. So although breakdowns still happen, they are way less frequent as issues are caught early.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a utility body pick up that is the back up. Was pressed into FT action this winter when work was busier. Now just the 2 vans are running. Looking for a good JM now too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts