Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My job has been requiring me to use a laptop more and more on site. I am looking for a high quality, durable, best of both worlds solution. Has anyone tried either of these? A little pricey, but I'm not afraid to spend money on quality. Found a Klein backpack option too if anyone has experience with this one too...

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
electricmalone said:
My job has been requiring me to use a laptop more and more on site. I am looking for a high quality, durable, best of both worlds solution. Has anyone tried either of these? A little pricey, but I'm not afraid to spend money on quality. Found a Klein backpack option too if anyone has experience with this one too...
I am a veto guy now, coworker used the klein. Klein has very little structure to laptop pocket. The padding is ok, but there is nothing to prevent the bag from compressing and damaging the laptop.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HARRY304E said:
Spending money on quality is good. You can do all that crap with an iPad however .:)
I carry the iPhone, iPad, and a laptop every day. Gets a little cramped in the cab of the van with a lunch, big man gotta eat.
The only issue I've run into with the ipad is no USB port... Can't interface with generators, or the new LG HVAC controllers. I'm being sent to LG factory training to commission their new generation of VRF systems, one of our HVAC contractors has been selling tons of these systems, but has to hire the one guy in New England (from NH) to come start them up. They'd rather pay for me to do it. Plus, my company is toying with the idea of having me Lutron certified...

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fethgtgh said:
I had the other klein backpack the smaller one, the gf just got me then veto tech pack back pack for my birthday and I honestly love it
Does the veto back pack fit a laptop? I just watched a YouTube video from Veto, he said it has a sleeve that fits iPads or laptops, but breezed right over it...

·
Estwing magic
27,556 Posts
Just wondering if the bag will hold tools too... Organized
I'm not sure. I didn't realize Pelican made a complete line of mobile device cases and backpacks until I bought my iPhone case. It looks like they make a backpack with a built-in water resistant and crushproof case for a computer.

Pelican wrote the book on indestructible cases. That Klown backpack is a toy. You may as well buy a My Little Pony backpack.

·
Registered
826 Posts
electricmalone said:
I carry the iPhone, iPad, and a laptop every day. Gets a little cramped in the cab of the van with a lunch, big man gotta eat. The only issue I've run into with the ipad is no USB port... Can't interface with generators, or the new LG HVAC controllers. I'm being sent to LG factory training to commission their new generation of VRF systems, one of our HVAC contractors has been selling tons of these systems, but has to hire the one guy in New England (from NH) to come start them up. They'd rather pay for me to do it. Plus, my company is toying with the idea of having me Lutron certified...
I carry a windows 8 tablet now for that very reason. One device and everything works. RS232, USB, Office..

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts
I carry a windows 8 tablet now for that very reason. One device and everything works. RS232, USB, Office..
How do you like it? I have an iPad and a Galaxy Note tablet. I only use the iPad for our estimating app, other than that, the Note kicks it's butt. I looked at the Windows 8 tablet, but ended up going to the Note, so I could have a camera and flash with it.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
That's a good point. A Microsoft Surface tablet with windows 8 pro and a type case would be baller for that kind of thing. You get full windows, install whatever software you want, usb port, plus portability of a tablet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Switched said:
How do you like it? I have an iPad and a Galaxy Note tablet. I only use the iPad for our estimating app, other than that, the Note kicks it's butt. I looked at the Windows 8 tablet, but ended up going to the Note, so I could have a camera and flash with it.
Love it.
I am using the Asus Transformer Book. Comes with keyboard for when you need a laptop. I have the iPad Mini Retina and a Note 8 as well. For work, the Win8 tablet is awesome. I wouldn't go back to an iPad for sure. The Asus is $399 and comes with full Office. The battery lasts me about 2-4 days and charges with a standard USB cable, no special wall adapter needed. It also has an SD card slot and a USB 3.0 port. It shreds everything else. I use a USB rs232 port for panel and control communications. So far, no issues with compatibility.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100/

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a bit ambivalent toward the Veto bags. Build quality is great. Pocket design is meh to me. I know you are approaching this from a laptop holding point of view but please, do yourself a big favour and check the bags out in person first. I lucked into a vendor that had nearly the entire line on display. Frankly, I wouldn't give $75 for the backpack. Let alone $225. I have been looking for a bag that will do the Veto vertical storage thing for my long handled screwdrivers and six inch shaft nut drivers. NONE of the pockets on the Veto models will hold them. The backpack pockets were simply too short to hold anything like that. And I tried them right on the showroom floor. I did not check the tablet pocket since I don't carry one daily. The XL closed top bag would hold the 8 inch and six inch drivers but two inches of the shafts stick out above the pockets and with handles adding another three inches or so, they flop a LOT when the bag is opened up. The pockets are very cavernous in width and front to back depth but none of them are really set up for electricians or techs. The bags are much more generic(makes sense, appeal to the widest audience) in tool holding design and are designed to have multiple tools per pocket to hold them upright. This is okay for Channellock type pliers and and the shorter pockets will accommodate shorter nut drivers and screwdrivers as long as you don't mind them jam packed against each other in the same pocket. This is not going to happen to my insulated tools. I do NOT want them banging up against each other or anything else for that matter. So again, not knocking the Veto on quality or concept. In fact, I don't think anyone else out there I have looked at is even close to Veto in concept. I just wish they had a model geared more toward insulated and long shaft tool storage that did not have them jammed in large pockets to keep them upright. Again, I would strongly urge you to check out the Veto bags in person before you lay down the money.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just realised my comments about the backpack could cause confusion. The OP is looking at the Klein BP and I am referencing the Veto BP. And to be clear, I am referencing tool holding more than the laptop holding functions. However, at this price point you are going to want versatility and tool holding will eventually enter into the picture. Good stuff, just very generic in application.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.