Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am kind of torn between getting a vfd or rotary converter for 3 phase in my home shop. I need something in the 20-30 hp range. All Advice welcome.

·
Bilge Rat
7,022 Posts
It sounds like you're wanting to operate more than one motor, maybe several at once.

If so, a VFD would be a very poor choice. They do not do well with motors coming on and off while it's running.

If a motor is switched on or off while the VFD is producing power, it's very likely to burn up.

If a VFD operates one motor, the starting and breakdown torque will be less than if it were on POCO power, but it'll produce its rated HP once it's running.

A rotary phase converter doesn't care though. It's perfectly happy to run just about any 3Ø load within its rating. Figure about 80% of rated HP for any motor. And less starting torque.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
So i am kind of torn between getting a vfd or rotary converter for 3 phase in my home shop. I need something in the 20-30 hp range. All Advice welcome.
There are other options, depending on your price range, and what you intend to run in your shop.

Digital phase converters, for example. They can run multiple motors if need be, in the range of hp you are giving.

Never used them, just found them doing a search a few days ago, when someone else asked about running a three phase compressor on single phase.

Borgi

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Is your service sized to handle it? Most of the shops I've seen use a rotary phase converter. The biggest issue I've run into is you have to make sure none of the controls are connected to the manufactured leg. Some of the cheaper ones, or the homemade ones, seem to have a higher starting current than the high end ones. How many motors are you going to be running at the same time and what size?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to be running about 6 small motors, around 1-2 HP, on and off regularly, and two 10-15 Hp motors for the compressor and what not. My shop has 200 amp service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also should i build one or get a stock commercial?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Morning mr.photon:

Your profile states your an Electrical Engineer. :thumbsup:

Where is your shop, and what price range are you looking at to set up three phase?

Borgi

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am an electrical engineer, just not in the complete sense. I never finished college for financial reasons so i could not be certified, but i do know alot.

Anyway, I can spend about 2g. It would be located in my home shop(a pole barn on my property). i have 200 amp service.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It might worth pricing out individual VFDs, but it sounds like you have quite a few motors. As others have said, VFDs don't like motors coming on and off on the load side of them. They are designed to start and stop the motor themself.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Probably oversized for your application. The converter must be sized to the largest motors you're going operate and other factors. An oversized converter can cause problems. A number of manufacturer's web sites have sizing charts etc.
Be sure to study the appropriate code section to find out what the requirements are.

http://www.phaseconverter.com/rotary-converter.sizing/

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
What type of operation do you have going in your shop?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i have a couple drill presses, a large compressor about 15 hp, a garage opener, a lathe. I do repair work on some motors, just some small projects. I do odd jobs for people.

·
Bilge Rat
7,022 Posts
I'm pretty sure the current on this one would be more than 200 amps. A 200 amp service might not even be able to start it.

This one is also a basic ∆ connected motor with the shaft cut off and some capacitors added to get it started. It'll work, but the phase balance won't be as good as a unit designed from the ground up to be a converter.

There's a good chance that you'll need to reduce the sheave size on the motor of the compressor. This will result in less air but the motor might not be able to start the compressor with the factory sheave. And even if it does, it'll very likely trip its overloads within a few minutes because of the voltage imbalance inherent to all rotary phase converters.

As noted, pick one that's closer to your actual loads. It's usually ok to oversize a little, but not a lot.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Well i have a couple drill presses, a large compressor about 15 hp, a garage opener, a lathe. I do repair work on some motors, just some small projects. I do odd jobs for people.
Well maybe if you know how to rewind motors start a little motor rebuild ,motor rewind shop.Small fab shop manufacturing gig. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure the current on this one would be more than 200 amps. A 200 amp service might not even be able to start it.

This one is also a basic ∆ connected motor with the shaft cut off and some capacitors added to get it started. It'll work, but the phase balance won't be as good as a unit designed from the ground up to be a converter.

There's a good chance that you'll need to reduce the sheave size on the motor of the compressor. This will result in less air but the motor might not be able to start the compressor with the factory sheave. And even if it does, it'll very likely trip its overloads within a few minutes because of the voltage imbalance inherent to all rotary phase converters.

As noted, pick one that's closer to your actual loads. It's usually ok to oversize a little, but not a lot.
Ok thanks that explains it well. So should i look for something more like 30 HP? Lower?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well maybe if you know how to rewind motors start a little motor rebuild ,motor rewind shop.Small fab shop manufacturing gig. Good luck to you.
Thanks. That is actually what i want to do. I have rewound a couple of motors so i think i can make it work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Think it would be cheaper to put vfd at each machine or change motors for single phase
So, using your logic, instead of paying around 1500 for a rotary converter, i should pay 500 each for like 6 vfds?

I would if i only had one big motor, but why should i get a vfd for each drill press(for example)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts