Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, l I acquired an vintage HCK unihall 1000 clamp meter quite the tool in its day I believe, cosmetically it is in pristine condition I replaced the 9 volt battery which runs the screen display independently and the display is good. it alternates indicating whatever properties selected but there is no measurement showing for example main Voltage there is no value indicated, only the V for that property. I would like to open it and check out the inside, but the four case fastening point are covered with smooth black plastic caps usually these would normally prise off revealing screws to remove. Before I try this on the bottom 2 caps I should point out that top 2 black plastic caps are recessed which would make them virtually impossible to pry out! (I do not wish to apply too much force on the case which is plastic. Does anyone have specific knowledge and could guide me how to open also if anyone has a manual operation and/ or w/shop for this metre I would would be most grateful

Attachments

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Reactions: Quickservice

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love them. And give me a vintage crank handle megger as well, none of this battery operated computerized junk.
Testing a transformer with a single phase TTR like this except in an old wooden box was fun.
Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Cable

5 No-Load Taps and 33 Load Tap positions X 3 phases made for a long day. Only tested every Tap on every phase a few times, but if you ever had to do it, you probably remember it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The voltage meter is "vintage".

That amp clamp is "prehistoric".
:oops:
The amp clamp had interchangeable scales. When I was a young lad my lead tech. clamped the exciter lead on a 640 megawatt generator. I have no idea what the current was, or what scale was in place, but the needle pegged and it started humming loudly. He said "it won't come off." I thought he was joking, but he squeezed the handle and it bent without opening the jaws. We each grabbed one jaw and it took everything I had to get the jaws open. That meter was retired at that time.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,827 Posts
The amp clamp had interchangeable scales. When I was a young lad my lead tech. clamped the exciter lead on a 640 megawatt generator. I have no idea what the current was, or what scale was in place, but the needle pegged and it started humming loudly. He said "it won't come off." I thought he was joking, but he squeezed the handle and it bent without opening the jaws. We each grabbed one jaw and it took everything I had to get the jaws open. That meter was retired at that time.
magnetism .... it is a Very strong force sometimes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts