Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm a special effects artist in Florida. I have a little side project I've been working on for the past year. I have almost completed a replica of the 1950's time circuit hood box from Back to the Future 3. I've collected and replicated all the electrical components except for a vintage General Electric Resistor unit. I believe it's about 3 x 8 inches and made out of metal. It has 4 IRG resistors inside it's "cage". (The black coiled cord in the photo is not part of the unit) I was hoping someone might be able to give me some information on it and how I might go about finding one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would love to put this project to bed. :)

Attachments

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm a special effects artist in Florida. I have a little side project I've been working on for the past year. I have almost completed a replica of the 1950's time circuit hood box from Back to the Future 3. I've collected and replicated all the electrical components except for a vintage General Electric Resistor unit. I believe it's about 3 x 8 inches and made out of metal. It has 4 IRG resistors inside it's "cage". (The black coiled cord in the photo is not part of the unit) I was hoping someone might be able to give me some information on it and how I might go about finding one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would love to put this project to bed. :)

That's cool but resistors aren't sized by 6" X 8" like that.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Your best bet would be either eBay or find old factories: These things are how they used to regulate power. We've got a ton of them in our old plants, but I don't think I've ever seen one that looks like what you need: Most of them are cylindrical and only contain a single element.

If I were you, I'd make it. You can get that perforated sheet metal at a hardware store.

And oh, yeah: Post pictures! :thumbsup:

-John

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I would try to contact the effects guys who put it together for the movies and see if they can steer you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have seen those resistors in GE 5KV Magna-Blast switchgear. I cannot tell you what circuit they are in right off but I have seen them.
Check with some one who deals in old switchgear they should be able to help you.
A word to the wise check with your banker first. Old switchgear parts are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Call GE, they are really needing some good PR right now...They would probably give (or loan?) you something that may work. Heck, send them to this page:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts