Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came out of a building that was originally built in 1883. It's a wood 'raceway' that had two grooves to accept two #12s. I doubt this was installed in 1883, more likely added several years later.
Over the years, most of it had been removed, but I found some that was still in good shape and removed it for part of my collection.

Enjoy!

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I guess this was their version of wiremold.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I guess this was their version of wiremold.
In fact, it is a Wiremold product... the original one. It's called "Wire Molding". The cap piece is missing in the picture. It is a thin piece, about 1/4" thick, with decorative embossments, that nails over the top of this back piece.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That little round switch was mounted direct to the wall, with that wiremold coming off the top. then it goes up the wall and transitions to knob and tube. "No boxes, we don't need no stinking boxes" You have to be old to get that joke. You joke about wooden boxes, but if you look around the vintage area you will find an old Panel made of wood. The guy turned it into a key holder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah I saw that thread. Thats pretty neat.

I haven't really seen any old electrical stuff. Most older dwellings around here have been renovated within the last 40 years. Although there are some cool transformers and giant disconnects from the 1950's up at the old NIKE base by me. There are even some old launching platforms still intact. The town converted it into a public park.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has anyone seen evidence of " Knob and tube" wiring? I've encountered remnants in some old Chicago houses. BillW
All the time. Just look around the site at some of the other threads. I rewired a house a year ago that was still working fine on the original K&T. We only rewired it to sell it.
Chris

·
Registered
486 Posts
Knob & Tube

Knob and tube is still allowed in the NEC I use the porcelain wire sleeves to sharpen knives. They are ceramic and put a good edge on any knife.;)

·
Master Electrician
2,684 Posts
i see knob and tube all the time. it works great just doesnt have a ground. i wouldnt add anything too it so if i needed to add a new plug or light or whatever i would run a new circuit directly from the fuse panel. it must of taken a long time to wire a house when they used knob and tube. all they had was bit braces back then

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
i see knob and tube all the time. it works great just doesnt have a ground. i wouldnt add anything too it so if i needed to add a new plug or light or whatever i would run a new circuit directly from the fuse panel. it must of taken a long time to wire a house when they used knob and tube. all they had was bit braces back then

From what I was told as a kid, the time consuming part was tinning and soldering with a copper iron heated in a gas burner.

·
Master Electrician
2,684 Posts
From what I was told as a kid, the time consuming part was tinning and soldering with a copper iron heated in a gas burner.
ive spoke to a guy on mike holts forum that said he stills solders. its pretty much a dying art but i guess a good solder joint is just as good as any wirenut except when it comes time to adding a new wire

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
ive spoke to a guy on mike holts forum that said he stills solders. its pretty much a dying art but i guess a good solder joint is just as good as any wirenut except when it comes time to adding a new wire

There are plenty of houses and buildings in this area that have miles of K&T working fine, to me it is the safest form or wiring that was ever installed. Some jobs are so neatly done it's amazing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.