Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home owner would like a spa installed, however their home is on a 100 amp service. Upon inspection I noticed there was two 30 amp circuits and the rest were 15 and 20s. They have a gas range so no 50amp circuit for that appliance.

The distance from the 100 amp service to the disconnect would be 70'.

I'm hesitant to install on this service because if they ever decided on an electric range, they may trip the main.

With that said, they do have a garage that has a 200 amp service, but the distance to the spa would be 150 feet.

I've done the voltage drop calculations and it's close that it would probably be safer running 4 awg thhn with an insulated grounding.

The home owner does not want to upgrade the 100 amp service.

Would you recommend running the 4 awg 150' from the 200 amp service or the 6 awg 70' from the 100 amp in the house?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I have a hot tub that runs fine on a 100 amp service having #8s fused at 50 amps running about the same footage . I even tapped an extra breaker out of the disconnect box for an outlet to feed the block heater on my van.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
spa do not run at 100% load all the time, most of the time it just takes 15-20 amp, voltage drop is no so important. even if you have 10% drop spa will still work ok, motors can run on 208/230v and heaters doesn't care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've decided to be safe and not tie it to the 100 amp service, so that leaves me with the 150' run to from the 200 amp service.

You think 4 awg is overkill for the 150' run from the 200 amp service? I was originally thinking 6 awg, but was concerned about the distance.

Thanks for your input.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
4 is definitely better. if they are paying for it, there's no issue.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,053 Posts
Would you recommend running the 4 awg 150' from the 200 amp service or the 6 awg 70' from the 100 amp in the house?

Not being a smart ass here but you should get a qualified electrician. Tubs are not something you should wire without experience as there are many things to consider such as equipotential bonding and such. Someone needs to do a calculation to see if the tub can be run from the panel.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.