Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, currently just a 1st year, but I was wondering if anyone knew any info on opportunities for electricians in developing countries? I've heard about this through general stories of electricians I met in the past and was interested in such a thing (like helping to build infrastructure and whatnot). I've enjoyed travelling a lot in the past and would like to gain this type of experience.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Nigeria. Let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
the first thing you will need to do is research the electrical systems of the country you are going to work in. as many of them are different
the laws governing electrical work in that country and the qualifications and schooling you will need!
this is no easy task to get qualified in a different country and can take years.

while i admire your efforts i urge you to consider it carefully! is it worth the amount of time you will have to invest to get qualified?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,710 Posts
Do a search for electricians wanted abroad and see if anything suits your fancy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, i wasn't looking at a job per se, more a volunteer opportunity, and what kind of experience in terms of electrical was sought after by NGO's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do a lot of volunteer work. Almost 20 hours a week at this point.

Feel free to message me.

Haiti is always in need
hi mike, taking you up on your invite, but can't pm yet because of low post count

just a couple of questions:

do you volunteer for an ngo or church group?
do you have to be a journeyman?
what kind of electrical experience is most sought after?

thanks kindly,
james

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You might check around with various Church's.

The Baptist around here go into storm disaster area's, one Catholic
group goes into South America to help the associated parish Nuns.

In South America there's not much to see in most cases, they cut a "V"
in the stucco and mud the romex in.

If you really want to see the world, get your ticket and go work for
for your Government in their Embassy's! (but not what you want to do)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
thanks guys, i wasn't looking at a job per se, more a volunteer opportunity, and what kind of experience in terms of electrical was sought after by NGO's.
Just make sure you understand the electrical systems of the country you are going to before you start playing around with them.

There are differences between how we do things and how other countries do things, but I could not tell you how much of a difference there really is.

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
I am part of a kick ass group called Team Rubicon.

I specialize in low voltage, so I have had to help wire up computers, and satellites. and what not. Having a general construction knowledge is a huge plus in disaster zones.

I literally have a huge list of groups, but noticed you are in canada.

DO you have habitat for humanity?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts