Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I use the lever nuts, the more I love them. I was never a fan of push-in style connectors except in highhats. But lever nuts are different and I use them for just about everything now. And with the newer model being 40% smaller for the same price, I'm even happier.

I probably wouldn't have ever tried these if I didn't see so many good reviews and no complaints.

DE_2014_7_EI13_Bild1.jpg

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Do you buy them online? I've never seen a supply house carry any Wago product, at least not the ones around here. Graybar might have them but who goes to Graybar?

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new style looks nice. I'm still kind of suspicious about how well they will hold up over time under a heavy load, but they are here to stay.
Most of them sold in America say 20A on them, but the ones I got say 32A, which I believe are the Canadian or European models.

If they could handle 32A, I'm not worried about 20A.

But if it's something like a heater that will draw lows of current for solid periods of time, I will usually splice the old fashioned way.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,666 Posts
Never used them but have heard good things. I'm going to give them a try.

I just sent for a free sample off their web site.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will find a lot of good uses for these. For example, when putting up an outside motion sensor light, just leave the white and black wire sticking out of the box. On the ground put the lever nuts on the light's pigtails. Now when you go up the ladder hold the light with one hand and the lever nut in your other hand, slide it over the wire coming out of the box and clip it on. Do that with the other lever nut and you're done. No twisting wires or using wire knots, it's so fast.

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,568 Posts
I like the idea of them but am too paranoid they will fail with my name on them. And I go to graybar! ....not a lot, but I do. lol

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I like the idea of using them on a rough to make up all your grounds. You can prefab a bunch of them with a pigtail and go around and just snap them on quickly.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of using them on a rough to make up all your grounds. You can prefab a bunch of them with a pigtail and go around and just snap them on quickly.
Yeah, there are a lot of things like that. When redevicing with old cloth covered bx, I put a tail on each outlet with a lever nut at the end, this way I can cut the wire back to good insulation and reach it in the back of the box with the lever nut.

Another benefit is when working hot. Let's say you want to add a cable to an existing junction box. Open the box up and find the feed, then put the lever nut on it. Once the lever nut is on, there is no more exposed energized parts. When you are ready, just slide the other wires into the lever nut.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
Do you buy them online? I've never seen a supply house carry any Wago product, at least not the ones around here. Graybar might have them but who goes to Graybar?
Used Graybar all the time when I lived in NJ.

Reactions: Majewski

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I like the idea of them but am too paranoid they will fail with my name on them. And I go to graybar! ....not a lot, but I do. lol
The yellow 4 bangers by ideal at the home Depot were junk. The connection always seemed loose to me (imho)
Earlier my first employer company had problems with them mixing# 10 and 12 wire. But this was 15 years ago.
I use them daily and like them. I will wire nut a group of neutrals together if it's a multi circuit sharing one neutral. Don't like having 240 when not called for!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,568 Posts
I've certainly seen enough people on this forum share positive feedback about newer wagos. I still am a paranoid fuddy duddy. I agree graybar is expensive, it does feel like it's geared towards big dogs. But a lot of shops are.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
No doubt, I just found them to be way overpriced for the small contractor. I think they specialize in huge buyouts and industrial customers anyway.
I recall faxing them quotes from other places and they would match prices. i could fax in an order in the evening and pick it up first thing next morning on my way out which was always a plus. They always had a good inventory so ordering things in was rare.

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
The available contact area between the conductors here that is akin to daisy chaining conductors through receptacle outlet terminations i see as the 'weak link'....

~CS~

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
The available contact area between the conductors here that is akin to daisy chaining conductors through receptacle outlet terminations i see as the 'weak link'....

~CS~
I've used them many times swapping out ballasts just for times sake.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
But if it's something like a heater that will draw lows of current for solid periods of time, I will usually splice the old fashioned way.
That and motor loads.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I use Wago lever nuts for almost everything, love that they made a smaller version as that was my only ever complaint about them :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts