Electrician Talk banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Seriously. What's the difference between this and a back stab?
Normal push-in wagos use a completely different design than backstabed receptacles. I believe it's called a cage clamp, which works much better than backstabbing.

The wago lever nuts being spoken about in this thread use a different design than both normal wagos and backstabs. And from everything I've read, it's significantly better.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,573 Posts
Any updated opinions on lever nuts?

We're considering changing a process but want to make sure we're not overlooking something.

Anyone seen them fail or have another reason to stay away from them?

If you purchased something and they came in a kit in lieu of wirenuts, how would you react?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,723 Posts
Any updated opinions on lever nuts?

We're considering changing a process but want to make sure we're not overlooking something.

Anyone seen them fail or have another reason to stay away from them?

If you purchased something and they came in a kit in lieu of wirenuts, how would you react?

Thanks!
Push in No
Lever nuts Ok
My only problem with lever nuts is I have seen them used on motors, and they are not rated for startup current.
For your business this don't matter, I think I would prefer lever nuts in your case.

Cowboy

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like using them. Big fan when it comes to splicing control wiring. I've started using them on smaller 3 phase motors as well. Makes it easy to reverse rotation if I guess wrong on the initial connections.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My only problem with lever nuts is I have seen them used on motors, and they are not rated for startup current.
What about a 1/2 hp motor on a 40:1 speed reducer on a something like a conveyor?

·
Hackenschmidt
11,184 Posts
I would kit lever nuts rather than wire nuts with a manufactured product without any hesitation.

I think it's debatable if you get as good a splice with a lever nut if you're proficient with wire nuts, but the lever nut is hands-down more reliable if you can't be sure how proficient the installer will be.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,160 Posts
I've seen some fixtures come with the push in connectors.

Getting the wago's would show a lot of professionalism in the company to me.

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Registered
Electrician
1,414 Posts
Push in No
Lever nuts Ok
For your business this don't matter, I think I would prefer lever nuts in your case.

Cowboy
I have used them(lever nuts) on hundreds of motors and have not had one fail in the last 8-10 years(or so). Anything size 10awg and smaller I use them on motors (120 up to 480v motors). If you watch this video, the wire starts melting before the connector. Serious start up current is usually under one cycle and shouldn't affect them much, the next 2 cycles it goes down considerably. These things can handle some serious current. In the video you can see them handle a lot of current for a long period of time.

EDIT: You had me searching and I found both Ideal wire nuts tan(30-341) and the wago 221 lever nuts are both rated for 105*C continuous, 600v, and both are UL486C. Neither mention motors on their spec sheets. I do feel that the lever nuts are easier to get a proper connection, especially with the clear 221 version as you can see inside.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts