Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We started using them years ago in foundries and sawmills due to vibration loosing up wire nuts. These are cheaper than wirenuts, so I have been using them for everything. They are much nicer when trying to get 4 wires under a nut and making sure they are all tight. I use the 6 or 8 hole wagos for ground wires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only on lighting circuits and only at the fixtures. That way I know what the load on them is going to be.
They are rated for 20 amps and the biggest wire you can fit in them is a 12. They have the same heat and voltage rating of a wire nut.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
2dogs said:
They are rated for 20 amps and the biggest wire you can fit in them is a 12. They have the same heat and voltage rating of a wire nut.
That's nice, I still won't put them in the receptacle circuit.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Wago's make tying joints together quick and fast. You will be surprised how mush less labor you end up using, and like someone else said, they are real easy on the hands. I use them wherever I can.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,560 Posts
Love them for ballast replacement.
I can fit them on the ground and then just cut out the old, strip and done.

I just used them for a work area we just built, as a test to see if they survive.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I don't trust them.
I know the feeling, usually I generally base that thought off some past experience or something that has lead me to feel that way. But after using them on several jobs, I've found they can really make things fly and nothing has lead me to doubt their reliability.

I used to feel them same way about backstabbing and feeding through devices. Thankfully, I've found both to be very enjoyable :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I had a hand injury a few years back that made it almost impossible for me to do up a wire nut properly. I switched to the Wago's with the lever that cam-lock down on the wire. I just don't trust the stab-in ones, based on my experience fixing failed backstabbed receptacles.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I just don't trust the stab-in ones, based on my experience fixing failed backstabbed receptacles.
I agree. There is no way a piece of spring steel is going to make a reliable connection over time, even if it's a notch better quality than a push-in connection on a receptacle.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I agree. There is no way a piece of spring steel is going to make a reliable connection over time, even if it's a notch better quality than a push-in connection on a receptacle.
I should say that I trust the lever type very much. I've never done a full-load FOP test on them, but the effort required to latch down the lever makes me pretty confident in them.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts