Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change of design now has built in bench seating next to a sliding glass door in the dining room. I'm thinking of putting a recep in the bench base on the side that faces the door and is not under foot/behind calves while sitting. The fixed glass panel to the left of the bench will be a little over 2' from the bench.

This should satisfy any wall space recep requirements while not needing any more receps in the built in bench's length?

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think you need it, per the definition of wall space in 210.52. It would be nice to have though. I'd splurge and put in a spec grade with a low profile steel cover to help with the beating it's going to take. Would it be more useful tucked in the corner where you could plug phones in?

How far away is the next closest receptacle?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you need it, per the definition of wall space in 210.52. It would be nice to have though. I'd splurge and put in a spec grade with a low profile steel cover to help with the beating it's going to take. Would it be more useful tucked in the corner where you could plug phones in?

How far away is the next closest receptacle?
I could locate a recep as close as I want to into the wall space after the bench ends. This pic Is kind of what they're leaning towards

Window Wood Rectangle Interior design Picture frame

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,945 Posts
How about at counter height below the picture and leave slack in the cable to lower it to standard height if the bench gets removed?

Reactions: WannabeTesla

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Or behind the picture if the HO doesn't want to see it.
Tell inspector to eat that one! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think you need outlet within 6' of that fixed panel part of sliding door and your idea is the only way with that steel column

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
Floor receptacle in front of the fixed panel solves the problem

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is the bench furniture, cabinetry or structure? I think I'd probably put the outlet at a standard height centered below the window like you would if the bench wasn't there. That should satisfy rough inspections. Then as part of the bench build, have an armored whip wired in to that box via a knockout cover plate and run to low profile box(s) built into the bench at aesthetically desired locations, like you would cabinet mounted outlets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts