Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already enrolled in non-union as a electrician. I start around August. I was wondering if its possible can a non-union worker get in the union??
let me know and please add details thanks.
also im from Hawaii

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
It's as easy as filling out an application then waiting. It is their stated goal that all electrical workers be brought into the fold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's as easy as filling out an application then waiting. It is their stated goal that all electrical workers be brought into the fold.
What do you mean about that?? ohh and also i decided to go to non-union because I have taken the aptitude test for my local union and didnt get any mail back yet. i took it last year September

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
What do you mean about that?? ohh and also i decided to go to non-union because I have taken the aptitude test for my local union and didnt get any mail back yet. i took it last year September
First rule about looking for a job. Get a contact person's name and FOLLOW UP. You do that? Good things come to those who scrap for it.

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First rule about looking for a job. Get a contact person's name and FOLLOW UP. You do that? Good things come to those who scrap for it.
Ohh okay, I actual have 2 uncles in an electrical company. Hope they'll help me out. But I heard that non-union programs can help find you a job and stuff. Right? The non-union program I enrolled in is called ABC ( associated builders and contractors)

·
Registered
32,969 Posts
Important factors when becoming an electrician apprentice (AS I SEE IT)

1. Sign up with the local IBEW, do all necessary functions to enter the apprenticeship with the IBEW
2. Get a job Union if possible open shop more likely.
3. Get into a open shop apprenticeship program or take class at your local community college.
4. Find out why you failed your first attempt to get in the apprenticeship.
5. Take classes at the local community college to help you next go-round with the union (typically math - Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, finish those take some basic electrical)
6. Do this while working open shop and wait to hear from the union 1 day to forever.
7. Keep in touch with the union.
8. Find a relative, neighbor or friends father in the IBEW or bang an ugly chick if her daddy is IBEW, and get some help with the process (letters and a phone call from any of the aforementioned)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Important factors when becoming an electrician apprentice (AS I SEE IT)

1. Sign up with the local IBEW, do all necessary functions to enter the apprenticeship with the IBEW
2. Get a job Union if possible open shop more likely.
3. Get into a open shop apprenticeship program or take class at your local community college.
4. Find out why you failed your first attempt to get in the apprenticeship.
5. Take classes at the local community college to help you next go-round with the union (typically math - Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, finish those take some basic electrical)
6. Do this while working open shop and wait to hear from the union 1 day to forever.
7. Keep in touch with the union.
8. Find a relative, neighbor or friends father in the IBEW or bang an ugly chick if her daddy is IBEW, and get some help with the process (letters and a phone call from any of the aforementioned)
LOL at #8. anyways, This is the link for ABC http://www.abchawaii.org/
once I start this program at August they'll be sending me to a local community college for an electrical program. I'm thinking about retaking my aptitude test. Also I did this refresher course for math and I'll be studying the papers I had from that class. Ohh and Ill be finishing up my second semester of college this year. so I probably will be learning more things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.