Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have pulled these pieces of junk out of ceiling fans?

This one was a dimmer module also. I have had to pull a few of these out before. I had to pull one out of another fan in my house that was the non dimming fuse looking one. I am so glad the government mandated we have these things that blow everything a bulb burns out.

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
That's not a wattage limiter. 300W is the maximum you're allowed to load it. Not that it limits whatever you put onto it at 300W.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
21,939 Posts
I only have removed them when they go bad. With led and cfl I am surpised themwatt limiters are even be used

Reactions: Chris1971

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have removed them when they go bad. With led and cfl I am surpised themwatt limiters are even be used
I had debated leaving them in. This one had started buning out bulbs left and right then quit.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
What's inside a paddle fan that would make the bulbs turn off and on again repeatedly in a blinking fashion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can a wattage limiter burn out bulbs?
I have no idea but every one of the dimmer kind that burns up starts burnning out bulbs left and right before it pops a bulb bad enough to short out. I can't explain it but it isn't the first time it has happened. I had to take one out of a fan because they said the bulbs wouldn't last a week.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
A remote thats not rated for cfls?

No remote. Incandescent in the sockets and its a semi new fan. I've never seen it happen before. It just blinks and blinks and blinks. It's not my fan or I would've torn it apart by now

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
No remote. Incandescent in the sockets and its a semi new fan. I've never seen it happen before. It just blinks and blinks and blinks. It's not my fan or I would've torn it apart by now

The part pictured in post one would be the only thing I can think of. Did they put too large of bulb in?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Limiting switch. Put some lower wattage bulbs in it and it should go away

If it is a limiting switch it must have failed bc I was told these bulbs have been in it for some time

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't remove something that's part of the products' testing certification.
It failed and you cannot get a new one. Hunter wants you to buy a new fan if the wattage limiter fails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts