Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro:

The new proprieta of my favorite watering hole has, with much elation to myself and fellow patrons, showed interest in reviving the currently immobile ceiling fans above the bar.

Problem:

As it has recently come to my attention, the multiple pendant lights over the bar are currently on the same dimmer as the two fans. Obviously there is integral problems.

Theoretical solution:

Find the ratio of the amperage normally applied to the pendants while dimmed to the pendants amperage at line voltage. Then change the wattage of the bulbs in the pendants so that, at line voltage, the same wattage is achieved.
That's a bit of a mouthful but we all know that watts = volts x amps.

Does it translate in a practical sense?

Summation:

Can I achieve a resemblance to current ambience by altering wattage at 120 volts as the dimmer alters voltage to a higher wattage bulb?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If someone always used a dimmer at 50% on a 100 watt bulb, would replacing the dimmer with a single pole switch and replacing the 100 watt bulb with a 50 watt bulb produce identical lighting?

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Intro:

The new proprieta of my favorite watering hole has, with much elation to myself and fellow patrons, showed interest in reviving the currently immobile ceiling fans above the bar.

Problem:

As it has recently come to my attention, the multiple pendant lights over the bar are currently on the same dimmer as the two fans. Obviously there is integral problems.

Theoretical solution:

Find the ratio of the amperage normally applied to the pendants while dimmed to the pendants amperage at line voltage. Then change the wattage of the bulbs in the pendants so that, at line voltage, the same wattage is achieved.

Summation:

Can I achieve a resemblance to current ambience by altering wattage at 120 volts as the dimmer alters voltage to a higher wattage bulb?
You could have had romex across that ceiling in the time you typed this out.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Why dont you just experiment with bulb sizes until you find one that produces enough light at the normal speed setting for the fans !
Make sure that the speed control can handle the extra load of course !

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Intro:

Problem:

Theoretical solution:

Summation:

Dear sir, if you are going to compose these type of posts could you please not do so on Friday nights since this type of stuff gets really difficult for my mushroom high at peak time mind to gather together and decipher.......

Reactions: sparky970

·
Registered
12,505 Posts
Arrow3030 said:
If someone always used a dimmer at 50% on a 100 watt bulb, would replacing the dimmer with a single pole switch and replacing the 100 watt bulb with a 50 watt bulb produce identical lighting?
Now, wasn't that easier!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,666 Posts
Dimmers do not change the voltage any more, it changes the current.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Remove dimmer.

Install SP switch.

Remove canopies on fans and install remote controls.

Bam! Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts