Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone on this page is guilty of this, myself included. I just got off the phone with a former coworker and good friend who may have lost vision in his right eye. He was installing a sump pump outlet in his own basement. He said the screwdriver somehow slipped when he was tying into his panel. Boom! Saw the arc and felt intense burn in his eye. Wife took him to the ER. Docs says it doesn't look good. He may lose vision in that eye. He has 25+ yrs as an electrician and a very good one at that.

Don't take what we do for granted. Its a dangerous field whether its 120v or 13,200v.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Our instructor says that molten copper is attracted to eyeballs so always wear safety gear. While he says that in jest its good advice

Since I wear prescription glasses, goggles are useless to me so I wear a full face sheild which also protects my beard.

Hot steel got behind my goggles and prescription glasses and burnt into my eyeball, I was lucky I got my sight back after 2 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sometimes turning the power off its not an option... but ppe and good practices should always be followed... I make my help stop talking and make no movements when I have to work in a hot panel... I don't want ANY distractions

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Took my glasses off once when cleaning contacts on a starter. The contact cleaner spray bounced back up and into my eye. Worst part was wearing a patch for 3 days, not the patch itself but explaining to people my eye was burnt from contact cleaner (they all though I was a wuss because to them contact cleaner is used for their eyes)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sometimes turning the power off its not an option... but ppe and good practices should always be followed... I make my help stop talking and make no movements when I have to work in a hot panel... I don't want ANY distractions

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk
I was wiring in 2 circuits for some fans and another guy at work wanted to ask me 1000 questions at the time I was wiring the circuits in, and I stopped and said dude, I don't care if you watch me, just please don't talk to me. He got pissed and left. I said look I don't need any accidents. He didn't seem to care.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Our instructor says that molten copper is attracted to eyeballs so always wear safety gear. While he says that in jest its good advice

Since I wear prescription glasses, goggles are useless to me so I wear a full face sheild which also protects my beard.

Hot steel got behind my goggles and prescription glasses and burnt into my eyeball, I was lucky I got my sight back after 2 days.
Looks like you're ready for a cold winter wolf man...:laughing:

·
Estwing magic
27,555 Posts
Just this week doing a small repair job and the neutral wire snuck into a wire nut in a device box. Boom! My fingers were covered in black smoke. It surprised me how intense it was. And the breaker didn't even trip. Simple 120V circuit. You never know.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

That is not a beard Chewy, it's more like an AMBUSH!!
I think there was a bunch a while back looking for a Schruberry. You may want to lay low.
All kidding aside I sport a beard myself. Your's just makes me feel juvenile.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
That is not a beard Chewy, it's more like an AMBUSH!!
I think there was a bunch a while back looking for a Schruberry. You may want to lay low.
All kidding aside I sport a beard myself. Your's just makes me feel juvenile.
Im going for a full year, Im currently in the 6th month as of yesterday. Excuse the robe its Sunday and Queens Birthday weekend so 3 days off...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

That's crazy man. I've had some close calls for sure. Just in the past two years I've been wearing safety glasses. I couldn't imagine losing my sight. You lucked out.

·
Registered
678 Posts
My apprenticeship instructor used to motivate us to keep those safety glasses on with this true story.

Back before you had to wear safety glasses, the man was changing out a transformer. Step down with something like 1,320 or some high voltage down to 480v. His boss is telling him to go ahead and cut these high voltage cables. My guy is telling him no cuz the base hadn't cut the power off yet. Basically, they got into an argument that ended with the boss threatening my guy with his job. My guy, worried about his kids, goes ahead and cuts it. Arc flash, explosion all that ugly mess. Shocked him so bad he lost the color in his hair and molten copper got all in his eye. Said they strapped him to a chair, held his eye open and used some type of medical drill apparatus to drill out the copper crap from his eye. He said it was so painful, that he bent the joystick like handles they give you to grip.

I NEVER take them safety glasses off while working anymore.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

Not so cute story chewy. Hopefully you made a full recovery?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Back before you had to wear safety glasses, the man was changing out a transformer. Step down with something like 1,320 or some high voltage down to 480v. His boss is telling him to go ahead and cut these high voltage cables. My guy is telling him no cuz the base hadn't cut the power off yet. Basically, they got into an argument that ended with the boss threatening my guy with his job. My guy, worried about his kids, goes ahead and cuts it. Arc flash, explosion all that ugly mess. Shocked him so bad he lost the color in his hair and molten copper got all in his eye....
There's a whole lot of valuable information to take away from that story, safety glasses are part of it.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I keep buying safety glasses and they keep getting scuffed and scratched.. then I stop wearing them for a bit because they're more dangerous on than off. Then I buy a new pair, but this is getting annoying, risky and costly.

Are there high grade safety glasses that won't scuff and scratch from everything and anything that touches them?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I keep buying safety glasses and they keep getting scuffed and scratched.. then I stop wearing them for a bit because they're more dangerous on than off. Then I buy a new pair, but this is getting annoying, risky and costly. Are there high grade safety glasses that won't scuff and scratch from everything and anything that touches them?
I buy the $5 cheap ones. 5or 6 at a time. I agree, when they get scratched they make it harder to see.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.