Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
God-fearing Volt-head
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any web-based software (that can plug into MySQL or postgreSQL) which would allow customers to put in a request for bid? I'm in the process of building up my website (blog, photo gallery for job-site photos, main site content, etc.) and would like to integrate something like that in to the site. I have an offline customer database (name, address, phone number, and a field for entering in jobs previously done) that I would like to integrate (probably just manually move the information over) into an online one so that if I ever get their email address I can email them about special offers and deals.

I did some quick googling of customer management systems and most of the stuff seems to be offline based (which is okay, but not what I'm looking for). I'm pretty much sold on this whole 'cloud' storage thing (I have Google Drive, LiveDrive, and Dropbox) and anything I can do to keep in that vein would just make things easier for me.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
One of our east coast progressive electrical suppliers went 'cloud' , and have had more computer 'eff up situations than dones has pills Janagy

Guess it's got it's 'bugs'.....

~CS~

·
God-fearing Volt-head
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it does, I've definitely had a few snafu's myself in the past but most of my problems can be traced back to ID10T and PEBKAC errors, if you know what I mean. ;)

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
you could write a simple php form, have it check for valid email address, then sendmail to your email, or parse/create a list of requests for you to check. Automatically entering (unsubstantiated) data into your customer base could cause a lot of spurious/unwanted data to be entered into your database.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/php/php_sending_emails.htm

·
Lighting Guy
Lighting Distributor
31 Posts
You could look at building up your request for quote form with a tool like Wufoo Forms (http://www.wufoo.com). You can embed the form on your site and wufoo takes care of all the validation and emailing. I've seen some very sophisticated forms built with this tool.

If you're using wordpress as the cms for your blog or site, there are several great form builders like gravity forms or contact form 7.

Hope that helps,

rdv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts