Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the EC's here that keep web sites: Have you found that business has increased since you launched it, as opposed to the years you did NOT have a web site?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
If business hasn't increased after putting up a website, you did something wrong :laughing:

A very simple website with even the most basic on-page SEO should get at least a couple calls per month.

·
Registered
591 Posts
BuzzKill said:
For the EC's here that keep web sites: Have you found that business has increased since you launched it, as opposed to the years you did NOT have a web site?
No, but then our website wasn't meant to generate sales. It is more a reinforcement and sale support.

I have had feedback from customers, reps, etc acknowledging that they'd seen our site or that they had picked up a specific bit of info from it. But I doubt that any one sale could be directly attributed to our web presence.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
We have a site, and it sucks...

The only thing we get is marketers promoting their SEO services to us!:thumbsup:

It is being rebuilt with SEO in mind at the moment, so we will see over the next year how it performs.

If your are in service, you should have one IMO.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is more a reinforcement and sale support.
Exactly: client sees your co. name/number and looks at your work on the web site; keeping it simple while covering all the bases has to be a huge selling point.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Unless you're selling items directly from your website, a website is a means to know who you are and how to contact you. That's it. Nothing more.

It's a misconception to think having a website will automatically make you money. There are plenty of scams out there that want to "advertise" your website promising you business by search ads and what not. Just a crock of nonsense. I've been doing websites for over 15 years and if you want to make the most out of the internet get word of mouth advertising on user reviewed sites like Yelp.com or kudzu.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If business hasn't increased after putting up a website, you did something wrong :laughing:

A very simple website with even the most basic on-page SEO should get at least a couple calls per month.
I'm doing something wrong, Hack, mine has been dead for months. I have 0 knowledge of SEO apparently, cause my keywords just don't work for me :(

Any tips?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
No,
~
I doubt that any one sale could be directly attributed to our web presence.
So not a single customer has found your company via your website?

Unless you're selling items directly from your website, a website is a means to know who you are and how to contact you. That's it. Nothing more.

It's a misconception to think having a website will automatically make you money. There are plenty of scams out there that want to "advertise" your website promising you business by search ads and what not. Just a crock of nonsense. I've been doing websites for over 15 years and if you want to make the most out of the internet get word of mouth advertising on user reviewed sites like Yelp.com or kudzu.
Your first paragraph is correct, a website's goal is to get people to call you for work. While it could also do as Thomps says and educate your customers as well.

Your second paragraph seems off base. A website will make you money via new customers. A website is an advertisement, the entire point is to bring in new business (ie, make you more money).

As for the "scam" of advertising your website, that's called SEO and it's far from a scam, it's a part of life on the internet. It's a necessity.

While customer reviews on websites like Yelp might help business as you mentioned, a good website with proper SEO WILL directly give your company business.

·
Registered
591 Posts

No. Not as an initial point of contact. That being said, I'm sure some of the numerous faxes that GC's send out each week to every contractor in town asking for prices were probably sent because they got our info from the web.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We just started in March. I worked hard to get us showing up first in a bunch of searches from surrounding areas and services.

Since we are new and most people just pull out their smart phone when needing someone. That is where most of our business has came from and we have had a few referrals.

Winter was rough just grabbing whatever came in. Some of the domains I bought also got me. Once the weather breaks people will start wanting to do more.

But people are liking the idea that we have the material in stock. We are ready to go with most repairs. Not saying we will be back when we get what we need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes my site does generate work..I also have my web site linked to my business facebook page and google. I think what it does is makes it easier to close a sale..I have alot of information plus pictures.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts

No. Not as an initial point of contact. That being said, I'm sure some of the numerous faxes that GC's send out each week to every contractor in town asking for prices were probably sent because they got our info from the web.
Faxing? No one uses your website? Do you live in 1980sville up there or something?

·
Registered
455 Posts
What has a website done for me?

Well in the year plus that I had it, I was asked by Princeton University if I wanted to do some prevailing wage work in their science labs.Not that I did.

I landed a quarter million dollar paint booth wiring job that the weather keeps killing with all the other trades getting bogged down by it.

I landed a few manufacturing insurance compliance jobs.

I also did a bar makeover reality show as well that will be on in late spring.

It seems like I am sweeping out older clients for new ones.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Going_Commando said:
Faxing? No one uses your website? Do you live in 1980sville up there or something?
L

Sometimes I wonder.

I didn't say no one uses our website, just that it isn't expected to generate new sales.

We probably send/receive 200-250 faxes a week.

That's in addition to online communication, mobile-mobile, etc

1 - 20 of 62 Posts