Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Informal poll...who out there has gotten away from the gold wedding band while working?

Not wear one?
Gone silicone?
Ceramic?
Carbon fiber?

I want to make the switch...just taking my gold band off for now, but, don't see any that I really like.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't wear mine ever. Camt get used to it even on weekends. Here's a funny story though, when we were engaged we went wedding band shopping. I told the salesman I was an electrician so I couldn't wear a ring at work. He said "I have the perfect ring for you, it's nonconductive". I asked what it was made of, he said tungsten. "Its 100% nonconductive". I said you are 100% incorrect. I nearly died of laughter.

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,567 Posts
I don't wear mine ever. Camt get used to it even on weekends. Here's a funny story though, when we were engaged we went wedding band shopping. I told the salesman I was an electrician so I couldn't wear a ring at work. He said "I have the perfect ring for you, it's nonconductive". I asked what it was made of, he said tungsten. "Its 100% nonconductive". I said you are 100% incorrect. I nearly died of laughter.
Happened to a guy I know. Hurt like hell when he got hit too!

Sometimes if we're on vacation, I'll bring my ring. I still haven't worn it in years.

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,567 Posts
It tickled. Mainly because that artist likes to dig in too deep so it lasts longer. The guy who did my other knuckles however.... Felt fine.

·
Watt Pusher
2,511 Posts
I wear a ceramic one with walnut burl inlay. I take it off if I'm doing much of anything more than paperwork or minor troubleshooting/investigation, though. Not just because of the dangers, but because I don't want to damage it! It's got scratches all over it already. I also have a cheapy wood one but I often forget to change over. So my ceramic one spends much of its time in a pocket in my tool bag.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,922 Posts
I don't wear one while working, have seen way too many issues. I think silicone would be the only way to go provided it breaks before you lose a finger or worse. I have seen just as many issues of rings hooked as I have seeing them short to something.

If I was still in the field I think I'd opt for a tattooed on ring.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
I do use the ring only when I am not working at all but when I do any work either on electrical side or work on engines the ring and WATCH have to come off to be safe.

My wife understood this pretty clear because her brother got his hand hurt and it dent his ring so we know how it goes.

yes I know some of you wondering why watch .,, some of the watch have plastic body but look at the back of watch majorty of them have metal disc so that one other reason why I dont wear watch often.

I set my cellphone with a ringtone like churchbell or dings depending on where I work so I know what time it is by listen to the dings it ring out.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,657 Posts
Never again

I use to use a van with ladder racks on top ( old type ). One time after tying down the ladders, I use to come off the side. One time my ring hooked the rain gutter as I jumped the last 2 ft. I felt the pain and blood and looked for my finger on the ground before I looked up, Lucky it only cut to the bone.
I do like the tattoo ones but it would have to be gold or silver, the black ones I'm not crazy about. But after 29 years of marriage and no ring worn my wife is use to it.

Reactions: Majewski
1 - 20 of 29 Posts