Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are pictures of a really weird Square D breaker. I've got a box full of these things from a panel replacement many years back. The only reason the panel was replaced is because there was no source for these breakers. The panel was probably 3 feet wide, and these breakers bolted on. Not even the local Square D rep was able to identify this breaker. The breaker I took pictures of is a 20 amp, but it's got a lug sized up to #1/0. Weird. The dataplate information off the panel is long gone. All that's left is this box of breakers.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Marc ,

That breaker i try to rember what that one called but i know it was before the QO series do show up.

IMO if i recalled i think i did see that at least twice in 15 years in USA side so that is very instering oddball breaker.

I dont know if they have any marking on the breaker but i am pretty sure it was used on 120/240 system.

I did look at the photo twice to make sure i was not thinking a ole OX [ oddball kind ] breaker so i guessing that was in late 50'- early 60's era design.

if you get a modern QO single pole breaker and that old breaker i am sure the mounting is pretty simuair but hard to say if i am right with this one.

Merci, Marc

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Marc, is mounts like a QOB, but it's twice as long. It's got a handle like the Q1 and A1 series, but that's not what it is. It's definately not XO, because I've got plenty of them. The very large lug size makes me wonder if this wasn't intended for a 48VDC system originally? Hard to say. I knew that when the very aged Square D rep was stumped, I was replacing the panel. I should have pried the plate off the panel way back when. Oh well, water under the bridge now. Doesn't really matter at this point, but I just came across this box of breakers today and thought I'd snap some pics to share. Thought maybe someone would have a Eureka! moment.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Marc ,,

Now you mention 48 Volts DC system yes i did rember it now they used to listed in the catalog book sometime back i did recalled it stated it was used on 48 v system i think only place still using the 48 volt system is the telephone company.

Merci, Marc

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you mention 48 Volts DC system yes i did rember it now they used to listed in the catalog book sometime back i did recalled it stated it was used on 48 v system i think only place still using the 48 volt system is the telephone company.
That's what I always thought about these. The big lug on the 20 amp breakers really bothered me. This panel was in an automobile repair garage (Chrysler dealer). I sorta always wondered if the original contractor back when might have installed the wrong panel? Sooner or later, someone will chime in who recognizes these things.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
might not hurt to read the thread. Shunk clearly stated that it's not an XO, way back when.
Welcome to the forum.
:thumbsup:
Someone told me some time ago what that breaker is, but I forget already. For some reason "AN" sticks in my mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one in my van actually i think the sticker is on it I'll have to dig it out and see what it says,I see these all the time but, of a 3 pole 3 phase type. Hussmann Refrigeration in Canada used these in equipment they built in the late 60's to the 70's

Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
A friend forwarded this to me. I've been looking for Square D "CB" type breakers, but these aren't the ones. I'm going soon to a surplus place to see if they have them. I assume CB is the type. Only info on panel is model #CB-....... .

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Marc ,

That breaker i try to rember what that one called but i know it was before the QO series do show up.

IMO if i recalled i think i did see that at least twice in 15 years in USA side so that is very instering oddball breaker.

I dont know if they have any marking on the breaker but i am pretty sure it was used on 120/240 system.

I did look at the photo twice to make sure i was not thinking a ole OX [ oddball kind ] breaker so i guessing that was in late 50'- early 60's era design.

if you get a modern QO single pole breaker and that old breaker i am sure the mounting is pretty simuair but hard to say if i am right with this one.

Merci, Marc
I think you mean SqD X O breakers. These are not X O breakers. I have seen these breakers before also, but I do not know why they were designed like that. Anyone know?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.