Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
Manufacture and sell labor saving channel strut products
11 Posts
Thank you
The Dakota system product line is a cost saving strut system that is manufactured in the USA. Dakota Smart strut is manufactured in pre-cut lengths to reduce prefabrication. Dakota is the only strut manufacture in the world that has UL approved load rating on their strut, Giving Dakota Systems the only UL approved strut system for use as conduit support. Lastly the entire system is 7x faster then a traditional installation. I look forward to talking to you all and let us know if we can be of any help with your strut/ strut accessory questions.

SMART NUT:

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
Thank you
The Dakota system product line is a cost saving strut system that is manufactured in the USA. Dakota Smart strut is manufactured in pre-cut lengths to reduce prefabrication. Dakota is the only strut manufacture in the world that has UL approved load rating on their strut, Giving Dakota Systems the only UL approved strut system for use as conduit support. Lastly the entire system is 7x faster then a traditional installation. I look forward to talking to you all and let us know if we can be of any help with your strut/ strut accessory questions.

SMART NUT:
So are you saying that in your opinion strut by other manufactures is not UL listed for supporting conduit? Please tell me I am wrong in this assumption.

·
Registered
383 Posts
So are you saying that in your opinion strut by other manufactures is not UL listed for supporting conduit? Please tell me I am wrong in this assumption.
Maybe so

From the B-Line spec sheet:

Many of our products are listed by the Underwriter’s Laboratories, Inc. All of our strut system products are manufactured to meet or exceed Metal Framing Manufacturers Association (MFMA) and other industry standards set for their design and manufacture.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
Yes correct if you go to the UL Product portal or even the Unistrut UL page UL Listed Parts | Unistrut you will see that channel strut is only UL listed as a strut type channel raceway. Meaning UL only lists channel strut as an enclosure for holding wire not for supporting conduit. This goes for all channel strut on the market today, the reason is that UL does not recognize products that is modified after manufacturing. This includes cutting of strut in the field as current strut manufacturers only produce their strut in 10/ 20ft lengths and modification done after the manufacturing can not be tested or validated by UL. This is important as the load rating of conduit and piping support vary drastically based on the length of channel strut.

This does not mean that strut can not be used as a conduit support as it has been used in that manner for decades with little to no issue. Though it is important to just note that as the Dakota strut is manufactured in pre-cut length we have had all of our strut load ratings tested and validated by UL.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This does not mean that strut can not be used as a conduit support as it has been used in that manner for decades with little to no issue. Though it is important to just note that as the Dakota strut is manufactured in pre-cut length we have had all of our strut load ratings tested and validated by UL.
So if someone in the field takes a piece of Dakota strut and cuts the length shorter or drills extra holes the UL listing is void??

·
Vendor
11 Posts
So if someone in the field takes a piece of Dakota strut and cuts the length shorter or drills extra holes the UL listing is void??
YES that is correct UL is very strict on the fact you can not modify the product out of it's intended manufactured use without voiding the UL listing. We have been working with UL for quite sometime and they are very stick with the products that get their UL stamp and how those products are used. As they need to test to that specific use in order to validate that the condition that the product is beginning put through will meet/ exceed the intended load requirements.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks like this stuff would be pretty handy for equipment manufacturers that use conduit on their machines. The clamps look to be a lower profile than traditional strut clamps. Cleaner look as well. Are any of the systems rated for wash down food safe type applications?

·
Vendor
11 Posts
Looks like this stuff would be pretty handy for equipment manufacturers that use conduit on their machines. The clamps look to be a lower profile than traditional strut clamps. Cleaner look as well. Are any of the systems rated for wash down food safe type applications?
Currently we do not have them rated for food safe applications. Though we are in the final stages of a trial on a new finish for the clamps that we are hoping will work for the wash down application. As well we are in the design phase of a stainless steel option. As these come available I would be happy to report back on here.
THANKS

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
So it seems like I am better off using traditional strut systems. As far as I can tell by reading through the NEC I am not required to use a UL listed product for supporting conduit. If I use a traditional system I can cut it and modify it and I would still be OK, however if I used your strut and had to trim it 1" it is now in violation because it is a UL listed part.If I use a traditional system I can cut it and modify it and I would still be OK, however if use your system, no modifications are allowed or it will violate the listing. By your rationale I would have to get every 2x4, cinder block wall, i-beam, etc listed by UL.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like you have a decent product, but some of the things said in here are garbage. I don't want to say more or I will be banned

·
Vendor
11 Posts
So it seems like I am better off using traditional strut systems. As far as I can tell by reading through the NEC I am not required to use a UL listed product for supporting conduit. If I use a traditional system I can cut it and modify it and I would still be OK, however if I used your strut and had to trim it 1" it is now in violation because it is a UL listed part.If I use a traditional system I can cut it and modify it and I would still be OK, however if use your system, no modifications are allowed or it will violate the listing. By your rationale I would have to get every 2x4, cinder block wall, i-beam, etc listed by UL.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like you have a decent product, but some of the things said in here are garbage. I don't want to say more or I will be banned
Hey I get it and I am not trying to get anyone banned including myself.. You are right NEC require no UL listing for supporting conduit, and we do not believe that to change. If you modify our strut or traditional strut you end up with the same result. If you modify traditional strut the UL listing on traditional strut under 5B- channel strut raceway would be voided as well.

This is the standard on all UL listed products. If you have any question on the UL below is a quick link on some FAQ's on UL's code authority that I hope helps.

Traditional strut or Dakota strut both are good products that have been tested vigorously. Only reason we went with UL is because UL is a trusted 3rd party lab that if you have that stamp you know the product has been tested and will work well. Without 3rd party testing you have to relay on the manufacture to test their own product internally and continue to their meet their own standards. As we are the new guys on the market we wanted to relay that our products will continue to meet / exceed the industries requirements.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,172 Posts
I am at a loss for words, anything I say will get me banned.

Go ahead and comment Brian and Moto. You never know until you try. I personally promise to only edit your post if required. I seriously doubt any mod would have an issue as long as it is on point and true.

Strut Guru. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
I find the expansion of listing into a market where it has not been warranted for some time a crock of crap. Get a listing, try to shut out the competition or narrow the market and drive up prices, Much less drive up inventory. Or is this designed for safety because we can't trust apprentices with sawzalls? And promoted like it is a benefit to mankind, FO!

Being marketed by a person that most likely has never been on a construction site or picked up conduit or strut, except at a sales convention.

·
Registered
31,637 Posts

They will work to change the NEC, with a few dollars here and a few dollars there, bam you have the AFCI of strut.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
I find the expansion of listing into a market where it has not been warranted for some time a crock of crap. Get a listing, try to shut out the competition or narrow the market and drive up prices, Much less drive up inventory. Or is this designed for safety because we can't trust apprentices with sawzalls? And promoted like it is a benefit to mankind, FO!

Being marketed by a person that most likely has never been on a construction site or picked up conduit or strut, except at a sales convention.
Appreciate your opinion. We are just small company trying to make a dent in the industry with a new product line. In total we have over 30 years of experience in this industry. We tried and design a safer, faster, easier system. You might disagree but if you want to ever try the product let me know happy to send you out samples. In short if I can be of help let me know.

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
I can see the advantages and am not against changes in the industry but the whole UL listing thing I find to be a royal PIA. If I needed to cut to fit or drill a hole I durn sure want to drill a hole. We are allowed to install and energize electrical systems but not intelligent enough to drill a hole or cut to length. Dumbing down the trade.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,465 Posts
When you build a trapeze you can use strut and strut clamps but you could also use 2x4's and bailing wire and it would be compliant. Look at 358.30, there is no requirement for the means of securement or support to be UL listed. The trapeze isn't electrical equipment.

If an inspector was to challenge whether the strength of the strut, or 2x4's, or threaded rod, beam clamps, etc., are sufficient for the load, that would be a hoot, but the engineering data is available. The UL listing for support would make that argument short and sure, but it's very unlikely you'll ever have that argument unless your inspector is from Mars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts