Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This welder has 3/0 copper and a 200amp single phase 208v breaker.

When in operations the wires slap in the conduit as well as lighting flickers a bit... any ideas as to what could be the cause of this as well as a possible resolution?

I am planning on moving lighting to a phase not used by this machine. Hopefully that resolves the issue..

In my experience the wires jumping in the conduit signifies too small of conductors?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
832 Posts
This welder has 3/0 copper and a 200amp single phase 208v breaker.

When in operations the wires slap in the conduit as well as lighting flickers a bit... any ideas as to what could be the cause of this as well as a possible resolution?

I am planning on moving lighting to a phase not used by this machine. Hopefully that resolves the issue..

In my experience the wires jumping in the conduit signifies too small of conductors?

Thanks
sounds like a ground fault to me but not a good enough path back to trip the breaker or to short of a time constant to trip the breaker

·
Registered
832 Posts
Says it’s 220v and your running at 208 so that could be a problem. Unluckily. I’m leaning towards ground fault. Unhook the machine and Meg the wires

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was an assumption of mine as well. I need to look the manual up.. it is new machine and apparently i was told the machine has a built in buckboost for 220 operation... i have not verified that however.. yet

·
Registered
832 Posts
To me it seems like with it being 1phase it has to be a ground fault becuase the vibration of the wire in conduit is caused by lenz law basically 2 magnets pushing against each other and the only way to have that on 1 phase would be ground fault. Be it in your wiring or the machine. Could be I squared r loss too and that’s amplified by being undervolted increasing the resistance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a service call i need to address this week. Another shop had installed this. I was given the explanation...

Well x shop installed it (big union shop in mn) youd think they did it correctly.. my reply was just remember... everyone in med school are all called a doctor upon graduation despite being 1st or last in the class...

·
Big nosed attic troll
9,846 Posts
This is a service call i need to address this week. Another shop had installed this. I was given the explanation...

Well x shop installed it (big union shop in mn) youd think they did it correctly.. my reply was just remember... everyone in med school are all called a doctor upon graduation despite being 1st or last in the class...
biggest screw ups i find is from "big union shops" so im not too shocked. :p

·
Registered
832 Posts

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
14,524 Posts
Not uncommon to get conductor movement from high inrush.

Twisted conductors and sometimes going through some tight back to back 90's can help reduce/eliminate the movement.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts