Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're letting a guy go this Friday. I was going to post this in reply to the "To improve the union" thread but I think this deserves it's own.

We got this guy about a year ago. For about 2/5ths of what our shop does requires 2 special certifications and a CDL license with air brake endorsement, and the ability to drive stick. He has all that. For 2/5ths more, you need at least the CDL, and the remaining 1/5 anybody can do.

The main reason is, he's got that "old school" attitude. No matter who he works with, he tells them to slow down. When you layout work and make a plan, that's not considered "go time" for him... he's gotta ponder it a while and reflect. (This is for everyday stuff we do all the time.) Oftentimes, we go out in crews of 2 or 3, but when there's a "push" other crews who are available for OT are sent to assist you, and when more manpower shows up, he thinks that means he can put his feet up and relax. He's late at least 20 minutes at least 2x a week. He bangs in once every 3 weeks and it's always a 1st thing in the morning call in, not a day-before heads up.

The boss has heard from one too many "I don't want to work with him." Despite the fact that it will be difficult to replace him, and will undoubtedly result in having to pay others overtime while a suitable replacement is found, he's history.

Union environment or not, never allow others with nefarious intents drag you down to their level.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Hopefully he gets told exactly what you just printed. Guys like this need to know why. Slowing down a job or telling others to slow down for any reason other than quality of work is automatic fire for me.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
We're letting a guy go this Friday. I was going to post this in reply to the "To improve the union" thread but I think this deserves it's own.

We got this guy about a year ago. For about 2/5ths of what our shop does requires 2 special certifications and a CDL license with air brake endorsement, and the ability to drive stick. He has all that. For 2/5ths more, you need at least the CDL, and the remaining 1/5 anybody can do.

The main reason is, he's got that "old school" attitude. No matter who he works with, he tells them to slow down. When you layout work and make a plan, that's not considered "go time" for him... he's gotta ponder it a while and reflect. (This is for everyday stuff we do all the time.) Oftentimes, we go out in crews of 2 or 3, but when there's a "push" other crews who are available for OT are sent to assist you, and when more manpower shows up, he thinks that means he can put his feet up and relax. He's late at least 20 minutes at least 2x a week. He bangs in once every 3 weeks and it's always a 1st thing in the morning call in, not a day-before heads up.

The boss has heard from one too many "I don't want to work with him." Despite the fact that it will be difficult to replace him, and will undoubtedly result in having to pay others overtime while a suitable replacement is found, he's history.

Union environment or not, never allow others with nefarious intents drag you down to their level.
He's a slacker and should be fired on the spot in front of the men, for maximum embarrassment, guys like that do not belong in any trade.

I've got plenty of tolerance for slow workers, as long as their work is really good, they are cool with me, but anyone who tells others to slow down because he does not want to work hard at his job should be fired without notice .

·
Registered
6,205 Posts

Can you expand on that bold part? I am a bit confused about it. What do you guys do that requires a CDL and extra certs, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,341 Posts
I'm a loner. And this type of thread is the reason I have been happy for decades working by myself. And guess what? The jobs always finish on time when I said they would.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Seriously, why did you keep him this long?

·
E&I QA Inspector
Oklahoma Licensed Unlimited Electrical Contractor; Texas Licensed Master Electrician
182 Posts
I don't see why it's a "fact that it will be difficult to replace him." Seriously?

I DO know it's a fact this type of union worker (in all trades) has been on the project I'm on. That's part of the reason it went from $3 to $15 billion and took about 6 years total! Had I been in charge here, I would have fired about 95% of the workers on this job. Looking so forward to leave here the end of the month! Came up here initially for a 6-8 month job and I've been here 18 months!

Before I get blasted - I'm not picking on union workers, this job just happens to be a union job. I've been all over on different projects and I've seen both good and bad in union and non-union.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
It's tough getting people. We hired a guy on a probationary status who had all the right credentials on paper. Needless to say when he accidentally took the ruler out of my combination square and spent 20 minutes trying to put it back together before giving up, it really made me wonder about the value of those credentials.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
It's tough getting people. We hired a guy on a probationary status who had all the right credentials on paper. Needless to say when he accidentally took the ruler out of my combination square and spent 20 minutes trying to put it back together before giving up, it really made me wonder about the value of those credentials.
:blink:

Man..:no:
:laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I'm sorry dude.......I told you I would buy you a new combination square.......just as soon as I pay off my dealer. I'm on the hook for a lot of crack....... ok ?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I did that to mine once by accident but it took me an hour to put it back together. :(

·
Banned
652 Posts

What you described isn't just a union issue. Slugs like him exist in all types of careers.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Big John said:
This makes me laugh. I got two guys from our hall (very bottom of the book) to help us out on a big job on a short call. Both seemed intelligent on first meeting. Once I handed them their hard hats I had to watch both of them fumble around for a 1/2 hour trying to figure out how the liner snapped in. They never did redeem theirselves that two weeks. Slow and stupid. They were deemed tweedledee and tweedledumb.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
union347sparky said:
This makes me laugh. I got two guys from our hall (very bottom of the book) to help us out on a big job on a short call. Both seemed intelligent on first meeting. Once I handed them their hard hats I had to watch both of them fumble around for a 1/2 hour trying to figure out how the liner snapped in. They never did redeem theirselves that two weeks. Slow and stupid. They were deemed tweedledee and tweedledumb.
How do guys like that even top out? I've said it before and I'll say it again- I'm very hopeful that the statewide license and REQUIRED apprenticeship in Iowa will scare off the losers and weed out the idiots. Hopeful.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
How do guys like that even top out? I've said it before and I'll say it again- I'm very hopeful that the statewide license and REQUIRED apprenticeship in Iowa will scare off the losers and weed out the idiots. Hopeful.
I dunno, I've met more than one moron with a ticket. Then it makes me think we need to do away with multiple-choice tests.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.