Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, in a previous post i had problem with a magnetic trip breaker and i wanted to set it at the right position but i couldnt do anything because i didnt know what motor i had. Unfortunatly the nameplate i almost gone in that motor. I tried to find what it could be i got a prety good idea now with the Number left on the nameplate but i couldnt find the right one. If any of you could link me the good one that would be very appreciate !

here the nameplate i got and from what i saw im prety sure its a TEFC 3ph 40hp but i still need the NEMA and FLA to set my breaker right.

Westinghouse
HSB Frame:324T 60hz 63112203(Bearing?)
G1 40(hp?) 575v 39.5(amp?) 1765rpm
22-675H311A7N 7305-550

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
39.5A looks like the correct FLC for a 40HP 575V motor, I don't see the problem here. Not sure about how the CEC differs from the NEC with regard to magnetic trip settings, but I'm sure it is very similar. Maximum of 8x FLC (I think, don't have my NEC in front of me here), unless that doesn't work, at which time you start looking at the exceptions. The exceptions here max out at 17x but only if it is an EE motor, which it likely is not if it only says Westinghouse* on it. So here, if you can't prove it is an energy efficient (EE) motor, 13x will be the upper limit. I typically start with the 8x value and go up if it nuisance trips.

* The old Westinghouse motor division is now Teco, their Canadian offices are in Calgary I think. Anyway if it was made after the takeover in 1987, it will say Teco-Westinghouse on the plate, if it only says Westinghouse, that was before EE motor designs came out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now my magnetic trip breaker is set at setting B: which give 400amp that would be like 10x. So putting it to 500 would be still ok ?

Im prety sure they dont wanna replace that motor because the trip dont happen that often. Could it be possible to replace if with a thermal breaker ? rather than a mgnetic for that size of motor ?.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.