Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say youre going to add some high hats to a kitchen where there is just one light in the center. What do you guys usually do with the JB when youre done? Blank plate looks like crap. Im guessing running a new line from switch? What do you do if the light is fed first, then just switchleg down to switch? Then what? New line from panel?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Incubus311 said:
Say youre going to add some high hats to a kitchen where there is just one light in the center. What do you guys usually do with the JB when youre done? Blank plate looks like crap. Im guessing running a new line from switch? What do you do if the light is fed first, then just switchleg down to switch? Then what? New line from panel?
Tell them to deal with the bllank plate or pay up

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You also have to trace the cables and remove the staples. It would be very rare you could cut your new holes for the cans, find the cables, and be able to pull them back.

Now if the ceiling was open, that's a different story, but I don't think that is what the OP was asking about.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deep Cover said:
You also have to trace the cables and remove the staples. It would be very rare you could cut your new holes for the cans, find the cables, and be able to pull them back. Now if the ceiling was open, that's a different story, but I don't think that is what the OP was asking about.
There was no way of pulling the wires back. Solid ceiling. Every part of me just wants to blank the old box and shove in the ceiling, buttt ya cant.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cultch said:
Nothing you could do even if you cut all the holes for your new hi hats 1st before installing them or did you install all the lights and then thought about the j box? Just asking.
Cut holes first. Nothing i could do with little 4 inch holes. Wish i could train a ferret . Put him up in the ceiling.. Be great for pulling wires

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cut holes first. Nothing i could do with little 4 inch holes. Wish i could train a ferret . Put him up in the ceiling.. Be great for pulling wires
Of course I don't know your exact layout but just cause the hole is 4" doesn't mean you can only use the 4" that is you can see/feel for the feeds going to that jb and perhaps cut them back to reach one of the cans.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.