Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
45 Posts
Mine's not fantastic but I still think it's funny. Context: IBEW job.

Me and another JW were finishing up a job. It was second shift so we were enjoying the shift differential. I'm pretty sure it was a Wednesday.

Well, my buddy gets a call from the contractor superintendent. The guy tells us (didn't ask - TOLD) that we're taking a furlough for two to three weeks starting that day. He was basically trying to make us take the COVID hazard leave pay so he could "put people where they needed to be."

We tell him no, and he tells us that we'll have to take a layoff then. Alright, fine.

We're packing up our tools at the end of the night and the foreman asks why. He had no idea. Suddenly he's down two guys at the very end of a job, and has to make due with a new hire (shop steady between jobs).

My friend and I were back out on a nice job that next Monday. Makes me wonder what goes through the minds of higher-ups sometimes.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
There have been a several occasions that different management has pushed me and I’ve lost my temper. But thankfully to this date, I’ve been able to give 2 weeks notice each time. Hopefully, I will be able to control my anger enough to keep it that way, considering that is how I would want someone to treat me if they were quitting.

I know it feels like the right thing to do when you’ve been pushed to your point. But if you try to look at it from the other side of the road, you probably wouldn’t appreciate having an employee leave in the middle of a job.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been a several occasions that different management has pushed me and I’ve lost my temper. But thankfully to this date, I’ve been able to give 2 weeks notice each time. Hopefully, I will be able to control my anger enough to keep it that way, considering that is how I would want someone to treat me if they were quitting.

I know it feels like the right thing to do when you’ve been pushed to your point. But if you try to look at it from the other side of the road, you probably wouldn’t appreciate having an employee leave in the middle of a job.
Do you give 2 weeks notice prior to a layoff ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also note this guy was a prick and I didn’t wanna get stuck there when the hall filled back up so I jumped along with 2 other guys that day

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
To answer your question - No. Nobody would ever give you or me a 2 week notice if they were about to let us go. But I’m not them.

I would prefer someone give me a 2 week notice, so I will try to treat others the same.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer your question - No. Nobody would ever give you or me a 2 week notice if they were about to let us go. But I’m not them.

I would prefer someone give me a 2 week notice, so I will try to treat others the same.
Also to be fair he got a 2 week notice already the whole shop tried to quit a month prior the same day and the hall wouldn’t let us till summer was over

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,743 Posts
When I first decided to go back to electrical work I went to an Electrical/Solar/HVAC shop.

I went out everyday and wired up a/c jobs (at least two a day) and pool filters/pumps now and then.

After I started they had a bank appointed CFO start running the place as they had filed for bankruptcy sometime beforehand.

Well when you got a paycheck it was short hours because the CFO "adjusted" them. If you complained you had to sit down with him and get the shorted time back in a non-payroll check.

After doing this three times I walked in on Friday morning and saw they scheduled me for three rush jobs that were distant and I knew the CFO would argue about drive time.

So I put the files back in my box, turned around and in passing the boss on the way out (when he asked where I was going) I said "it's a great day for diving and lobster are calling my name, see ya!".

After my call to the labor board I got all the shorted time back plus some for not taking lunches.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,518 Posts
When i was in school my father asked me to draft the parts required to replace the bottom of 24 feed bins. The outlets of 4 bins had to merge into one single chute.
So i calculated all the angles and made the drawings. My old man being the trusting type even insisted on me making a scale model to prove it would work.

Cut sheets were sent to the steel shop and the mechanics cut the old bin bottoms out. Then the company / union used a loop hole that avoided last in first out and my father plus a bunch of the older better payed guys got made redundant one week later.
I can always remember the phone call where my old man explained that the drawing were done by his son who has no affiliation to the company thus the drawings and cut sheets were not company property.
Now the company has a huge pile of numbered sheet metal plates cut to odd sizes and no instructions on how to assemble them. They threatened lawyers then finally had to fold and pay for the drawings. My old man never told me how much but it was a fair chunk of change of which i received a "that a boy" but no cash.

Years later i was doing a contract job at the same company when i walked through the office area there was one of my drawings framed on the wall. Where my old mans name had been written you could see that someone had erased it and now proud as could be was the engineers name my father use to work with.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Never thought just walking off a job was a good idea.
If there was a problem with supervision, leaving was not going to get the problem fixed.
I usually stayed and made sure the front office became aware of the supervision problem.
Spent 10 years at a bleach plant and managed to see four different supervisors sent packing.

There was one job right out of high school that I worked for one day and didn't go back the next.
That night I got the call I had been accepted into the Local.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,054 Posts
The best time I ever quit was the time I was working for *** Electric on Cleveland Ave and I told the boss I was leaving and flying out to Hawaii for ever that evening. He was a pretty good boss too, but...........

·
Estwing magic
26,064 Posts
I worked for a two man shop as a second year apprentice. The owner was the best electrician I have ever seen - precise, meticulous and efficient. He wanted me to become a clone of him and I just wasn’t ready for it. I was still tripping over my boot laces trying to figure out conduit bending (things haven’t changed much🤣).

Eventually, it turned into, “You can’t fire me, I quit”.

I think about that guy sometimes and all the things he taught me that I didn’t realize at the time. He really was a good guy. Cancer took him suddenly a few years later; another one gone long before his time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The only two jobs I quit I gave at least two weeks notice. One of those was a part time job that I started when I was in high school. All the other places that I have worked at either closed shop or relocated to a different region. I have always ended my work relationships on good terms.

One of the companies moved 300 miles away and I was offered a chance to relocate, but chose not to. Did I quit them or did they quit me.:unsure:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have only been laid off from one job but it was a mass layoff of all electricians in a very large company. They gave use a few months heads up so it was not so bad. They even brought in a lady to help us with creating resumes, and for a couple of us they offered positions with 2 independent contractors that were taking over our current positions. I opted for the lay off and retirement package.
I thought it would be better to get a monthly retirement and make money at a new job. 3 years latter I was offer a job for real good pay from a supervisor that left and went to another company. If I was a bit younger I would have totally jumped on that job but the drive would have been difficult.
As for quitting a job I firmly believe you should give proper notice. I have tried 2 times now to quit at my current job but each time I got a raise.
Don't bite the hand that feed you. We build relationships and that's how we succeed. With all the hand outs and extra money people get through unemployment it's best to wait to be laid off rather than quit. Personally I have never applied for unemployment and wonder if I would even be eligible being that I do get retirement pay. Besides who want to battle the government to get unemployment.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
I only ever quit 1 job that was my first electrical job out of high school. It was a service job in center City Philadelphia, in crappy vans, and we were always getting pushed to do more. Due to the fact that driving in rushhour all day I had a few fender benders and they effected my driving record. I went to tell them either I get a better van and less pressure or I quit. They said "you can't quit you're fired".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts