Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3rd year electrical apprentice
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep seeing ads you plug this stupid little thing into a receptical close to your panel and one far. Is it supposed to be a power factor correction capacitor for the few times you use your microwave , garage door opener and plug in vacuum a day? Not too many inductive loads in a home ,gimme a break

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,371 Posts
Keep seeing ads you plug this stupid little thing into a receptical close to your panel and one far. Is it supposed to be a power factor correction capacitor for the few times you use your microwave , garage door opener and plug in vacuum a day? Not too many inductive loads in a home ,gimme a break
show me

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,326 Posts
I mean, lots of non-resistive lighting loads, electronics, ceiling fans, etc have low power factor as well.

First of all, I dont know why I'd want badly to correct it when the utility charges based on watts and not amps.

But I've heard these devices are made of snake oil.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,436 Posts
Even if there were to be some minuscule savings to be had by correcting power factor is a house, which load would you match up the capacitor to?

Haha I’d be embarrassed to share a link for that **** here lol
Um....why are you even on those sites anyway? ;)Get to work!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if there were to be some minuscule savings to be had by correcting power factor is a house, which load would you match up the capacitor to?

Um....why are you even on those sites anyway? ;)Get to work!
Lol we’re in for block 3 , been all remotely so far keep seeing these stupid ads! I’d rather be working 6 more weeks 😬

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,241 Posts
Well I'd get it ! Install it, and then if ever Hydro ever starts installing a meter that reads pf, you'll be ahead of the game. :p

I remember the old days when pf correction was huge ... but i guess so were cell phones back then 😆

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Total unadulterated scam. I once read a university study that showed these things actually INCREASED the kW consumption a little.

Power Factor Correction CAN save money for INDUSTRIAL and COMMERCIAL customers that have a kVAR meter as part of their service and pay a penalty if their PF is too low. Residential customers do not, so poor or good power factor has ZERO effect on out power bill. The scammers who sell these things are COUNTING on the fact that 99% of people have no idea how anything electrical works.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,241 Posts
Total unadulterated scam. I once read a university study that showed these things actually INCREASED the kW consumption a little.

Power Factor Correction CAN save money for INDUSTRIAL and COMMERCIAL customers that have a kVAR meter as part of their service and pay a penalty if their PF is too low. Residential customers do not, so poor or good power factor has ZERO effect on out power bill. The scammers who sell these things are COUNTING on the fact that 99% of people have no idea how anything electrical works.
No way JR !! ... Did you not read the glossy :oops:

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
Search "watt saver" on YouTube, some of them are hits are scammers and some are proving they don't work. Wast of time but it is too cold out to go outside.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been a while since the power factor correction scam was discussed on this site, it got heated a few years ago. Do a site search and you will see some fun arguments with the scammer.
Haha I had fun with a scammer earlier this week. I posted a piece of farm equipment online, 130’ long feed conveyor to be specific that needs to be taken completely apart to move. They kept texting refused to call demanding all the documentation regarding service and maintenance. It’s a farm you fix it and grease it you don’t keep records. I suggested they’re scammers then they got upset at that and said they’d be here to pick it up at 3pm tomorrow. Not to mention their area code was 1000 miles away. I said ok, where are you traveling from how the hell do you plan to take it apart and haul it and do you even know what it’s used for. Hadn’t heard from them since

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,068 Posts
Haha I had fun with a scammer earlier this week. I posted a piece of farm equipment online, 130’ long feed conveyor to be specific that needs to be taken completely apart to move. They kept texting refused to call demanding all the documentation regarding service and maintenance. It’s a farm you fix it and grease it you don’t keep records. I suggested they’re scammers then they got upset at that and said they’d be here to pick it up at 3pm tomorrow. Not to mention their area code was 1000 miles away. I said ok, where are you traveling from how the hell do you plan to take it apart and haul it and do you even know what it’s used for. Hadn’t heard from them since

You can't go by area code anymore. With smart phones and people moving I used to get alot of jobs from people with far away area codes.

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,156 Posts
Must be some elaborate scam. Probably need your service records so they can fabricate service records for the piece of equipment that they own and are trying to pawn off on someone… wait ELI5… how would you think this is a scam?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts