Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Here's the scenario:

Established plumbing/hvac shop, 15 guys, looking to offer electrical services. They need a Master Electrician. Already have a journeyman and apprentice on staff. Masters role will be sales, estimating, design, permits etc and some field work. Of course providing the license to be used by the company is the biggest piece of the puzzle. This is for resi service mostly.
I bring the license and 27 years in the trade, 20+ as a one man operation doing exactly what they are looking for someone to do.

I need to come up with a value for this and I'm coming up empty!!!

Thoughts????
Seriously, you can simplify the process and ask "What's your offer?" and negotiate from there.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Being in with the plumbers, ones that you get along with, is good for both. Remodels, heating systems, generators, etc. Its good.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
@electricmanscott Things are not always what they appear to be and you should try to find out as much as possible about this company. Many of these larger companies are leveraged up to their eye balls in debt and they put huge pressure on their employees to make quota's that are unrealistic in order to just stay open.

Mike
http://www.michaels-electric.com
He can always go back to work for himself, or get a job if need be. Sometimes it's worth taking a shot.
Just make sure you have a lawyer look over your contract or what ever deal you work out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He can always go back to work for himself, or get a job if need be. Sometimes it's worth taking a shot.
Just make sure you have a lawyer look over your contract or what ever deal you work out.
As long as he doesn't sign a non compete agreement or get tangled up in a long term contract, sell them his phone number, data base of customers etc.

Mike

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
As long as he doesn't sign a non compete agreement or get tangled up in a long term contract, sell them his phone number, data base of customers etc.
Yes, I agree; in fact I've been thinking and wondering what concessions the
OP will have to commit too.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
To me it sounds like he has done the working alone thing for twenty years and he is over it. He obviously wants more or a change. He is probably over working with tools and I can totally understand that if he has been at it for 27 years. I've been doing it for 13 years and I'm over it too. And so is my back, my knee, and my wrist.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
To me it sounds like he has done the working alone thing for twenty years and he is over it. He obviously wants more or a change. He is probably over working with tools and I can totally understand that if he has been at it for 27 years. I've been doing it for 13 years and I'm over it too. And so is my back, my knee, and my wrist.
Being the lone ranger will wear you out. That's why it's so important to not cut your prices too much because you need the stash of cash for when the body starts breaking down. (not directed at you, just a comment)

Reactions: dronai and flyboy

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Bingo. I've been trying to find a way out for years. I'm 44 and can't even imagine doing this stuff for another 25 years nor do I want to. I took a job as a low voltage guy around this time last year. That morphed into something I had no business doing. More IT and servicing equipment I barely knew how to install. I'm a pretty good salesman :laughing: I sold myself right into something I should have not been doing and in this case it came back to haunt me. The taste of a steady paycheck was very appetizing! Getting paid for holidays, vacations, health insurance??? Yeah, no interest in going back to self employment!!

Being the lone ranger will wear you out. That's why it's so important to not cut your prices too much because you need the stash of cash for when the body starts breaking down. (not directed at you, just a comment)
SO true. The kicker is, you'll never have enough.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
To run any successful business you need a good product or service, good procedures and most importantly you need good people. For me finding good people that can make money has been a real problem. I never thought it would be so difficult. Most well trained guys have decent jobs and don't want to risk working for a small guy or they are just happy were they are at.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Right now I feel I have the right customers, connections etc. This year, pre tax time is normally scary, no problem, plenty of work. Paperwork at night is the big turnoff. Finding something specialized that holds your interest helps. Generator service has been interesting, but changing starters in this weather with my bare hands tests my patience. Jesus, its cold. Grateful to have what I have right now. Agreed, being the Lone Ranger isn't always what its supposed to be.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
$18.75 an hour.....

Reactions: macmikeman
41 - 60 of 63 Posts