Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be some good courses to get as a electrician?
I signed up for first aid and fall arrest... can anyone think of anything else?

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Figure out what kind of electrician you want to be, and figure out what their job is all about and what skills or training they have that you don't.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
What would be some good courses to get as a electrician?
I signed up for first aid and fall arrest... can anyone think of anything else?
how about some courses on electrical work ?

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
There are some good courses offered for underwater welding. Might not be relevant but would look cool on any resume. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
CSTS... H2S... LSE... Ground Disturbance... An Arc Flash Awareness course... PLC courses... High Voltage courses..

As stated before, you might want to narrow down what aspect of the trade you are wanting to get into.. For example, a residential electrician taking an H2S or PLC course may not be relevant..

·
Registered
427 Posts
CSTS... H2S... LSE... Ground Disturbance... An Arc Flash Awareness course... PLC courses... High Voltage courses..

As stated before, you might want to narrow down what aspect of the trade you are wanting to get into.. For example, a residential electrician taking an H2S or PLC course may not be relevant..
Not relevant, but makes for a nice back up plan, especially in AB. As soon as I get indentured I'll be slowly making my move to the industrial world, and I'll have the basic courses to get me there the moment I'm ready. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not relevant, but makes for a nice back up plan, especially in AB. As soon as I get indentured I'll be slowly making my move to the industrial world, and I'll have the basic courses to get me there the moment I'm ready. :thumbsup:
I had the same eagerness as you have now. I did 6 years of heavy construction. Now I have 10 years of industrial automation and programming. Sounds all great and stuff but I warn you........If your as passionate about the trade as I am you may screw your career. I seemed to have.

I have 16 years of electrical experience, am a master electrician, great at automation, and great hmi/plc design and programming. But now that I have this experience I want to work with a contractor again. Why you may ask????

1. I am tired of shift work. It takes a toll on you.
  2. You loose your skill as a 309a electrician as you don't perform this work anymore.
  3. Plants are now hiring technicians for maintenance at low wages compared to construction. I got into the trade to have a specialized skill and earn a good wage. In a plant, if you can push a reset button then you have a job in maintenance.
  4. Contractors won't look at you anymore.
On the plus side I have learned a lot with plc's/hmi's, and robotics but unless your doing a lot of design work with it then it is a skill sucking, brain draining, life rotting position to have. :wallbash:

·
Registered
427 Posts
mr_electrician said:
I had the same eagerness as you have now. I did 6 years of heavy construction. Now I have 10 years of industrial automation and programming. Sounds all great and stuff but I warn you........If your as passionate about the trade as I am you may screw your career. I seemed to have. I have 16 years of electrical experience, am a master electrician, great at automation, and great hmi/plc design and programming. But now that I have this experience I want to work with a contractor again. Why you may ask???? [*]I am tired of shift work. It takes a toll on you. [*]You loose your skill as a 309a electrician as you don't perform this work anymore. [*]Plants are now hiring technicians for maintenance at low wages compared to construction. I got into the trade to have a specialized skill and earn a good wage. In a plant, if you can push a reset button then you have a job in maintenance. [*]Contractors won't look at you anymore. On the plus side I have learned a lot with plc's/hmi's, and robotics but unless your doing a lot of design work with it then it is a skill sucking, brain draining, life rotting position to have. :wallbash:
I'll keep that it in mind! I just don't want to be the guy to get his ticket and not know how to bend conduit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ink&Brass said:
I'll keep that it in mind! I just don't want to be the guy to get his ticket and not know how to bend conduit.
I have some similar experience as you mentioned. I recently went back to construction after working in a plant for a while. I completely agree with your statement. I went through the same thing. It kills me to watch some of these technicians who have no clue what a proper installation or repair should involve. great comment

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
So where did the OP go? Is he a working electrician, apprentice/trainee, or just interested in changing focus in the electrical field? NMI!

·
Registered
63 Posts
my brother did the electrical construction course at NSCC and from what i could tell it was pretty decent.
They covered the basics of alot of different aspects of the trade, from resi wiring to bending conduit automation,instrumentation etc..
Think the course is 9 months and is decently cheap. Might be good if you're not sure what side of the trade you want to persue. Gives you a little taste of everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts