Electrician Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The major electrical equipment manufacturers, including Square D by Schneider Electric have devices (circuit breakers) 60A and below with GFCI protection for single phase and 50A and below for 3-phase GFCI protection. Keep in mind GFCI protection was added to commercial kitchens in the 2008 NEC substantiated by a fatality, the same hazard exists at higher voltage and amperage appliances now being using in commercial kitchens.

TRC (Technology Research, LLC) is a long-time manufacturer of 3-phase ground fault protection equipment up to 100A.
http://www.trci.net/products/hd-pro/6-10-30-60a-80a
Any plans to produce 3 phase 100 amp GFCI breakers so they can be used to comply with new code rule? There is no way I would want to use a product like the one you linked to in this post or the other 3 I linked to in a previous post.

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
The new edition of NFPA 70, the 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC), is one of the more significant updates in recent years. We would like to hear from you on what you see as the top 3 code changes that will impact you and your business.
Thank you all for your comments. We know this group is often advanced in understanding the code impacts and appreciate the feedback. We were asking for your input in advance of a broadcast that we are hosting on Nov 10 with a review of 2017 NEC changes. If you are interested in attending, you may register here:http://event.on24.com/wcc/r/1248069/A39934658EC5F3365303DD18E1CAEC76

We will post a preview of the critical codes as we finalize the list.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Hi! My apologies for the delay. I am working with our product team and codes experts on a recommendation. I will get back to you soon.
None needed, it's been a monday for us all Sarah...:cry:, and thank you for the link , but i have to say that creating a code where both manufacturers as well as field sparks are both somewhat at a loss seems odd to me....

~CS~

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
If you missed our 2017 National Electrical Code Changes broadcast last week, we just posted the on-demand video on our Electrical Contractor Portal. Mike Johnston, NEC's Correlating Committee Chairman, and our industry experts reviewed a dozen or so critical code changes and what they mean to you as a contractor. Plus, you can access the Q&A from the broadcast and other related code resources on our portal. Register here: www.schneider-electric.us/contractors-register.

·
Bilge Rat
7,020 Posts
The major electrical equipment manufacturers, including Square D by Schneider Electric have devices (circuit breakers) 60A and below with GFCI protection for single phase and 50A and below for 3-phase GFCI protection. Keep in mind GFCI protection was added to commercial kitchens in the 2008 NEC substantiated by a fatality, the same hazard exists at higher voltage and amperage appliances now being using in commercial kitchens.

TRC (Technology Research, LLC) is a long-time manufacturer of 3-phase ground fault protection equipment up to 100A.
http://www.trci.net/products/hd-pro/6-10-30-60a-80a
Do the 3Ø GFI breakers have a provision for the neutral?

Once in a while I'll connect a load that is 3Ø 4 wire where GFI would be a good idea. It'd be nice to be able to use a GFI breaker in the panel, like a hot tub breaker.

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts

Once in a while I'll connect a load that is 3Ø 4 wire where GFI would be a good idea. It'd be nice to be able to use a GFI breaker in the panel, like a hot tub breaker.
Micromind - I am checking with our code expert on this topic and will ensure that you have an answer in the next 24 hours.

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts

We have confirmed that the 3-phase GFCI circuit breakers do not have provisions for a neutral connection to the breaker. This means the general applications are limited to 3-phase, 3-wire loads. Applications that are 3-phase, 4-wire loads would be acceptable only where the loads are balanced across all three phases.

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
We have confirmed that the 3-phase GFCI circuit breakers do not have provisions for a neutral connection to the breaker. This means the general applications are limited to 3-phase, 3-wire loads. Applications that are 3-phase, 4-wire loads would be acceptable only where the loads are balanced across all three phases.
Hello.,

Do the SqD will plan to make a 3 phase 4 wire ( with netural ) GFCI breaker not too far in future ?

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
Hello.,

Do the SqD will plan to make a 3 phase 4 wire ( with netural ) GFCI breaker not too far in future ?
We are always looking for ways to innovate with our product offer and will take this into consideration. However, I am not a liberty to share our future product development plans.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts