Electrician Talk banner

501 - 520 of 568 Posts

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,951 Posts

I relocated a camera today at a hospital where there's an expansion being done...

All the all-terrain boom lifts were inside the structure, and the location where they got them in, has a hole in front... so we used an indoor scissor lift in the mud, while wobbly to take my gear down, then, spent 30 minutes getting the indoor scissor lift into a tight corner for me to mount the camera gear on the pole at the new location...then I almost got the darn thing stuck because the tires were covered in mud and I was on snow... haha

Was an entertaining job. Instead of 1.5 hours it took 2.5 hours.

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
Performing mostly commercial and underground raceway installations
110 Posts
Had to cut open route 611 for a faulty ground loop detector circuit. Pavers went over existing ground box

decided to pick up existing 3” UG and turn it beyond curb and run 1” down curb about 300’.

Attachments

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts

I installed a kitchen in the apartment at my parents place. All ikea cupboards, all scratch and dent/as-is items except for 2. Need to get some doors and shelves, a gable panel, a base cabinet, and few other odds and ends, but the majority is complete. We now know the countertop sizes so we can order the countertop, and tomorrow i may do some more plumbing for the sink. We forgot to install valance light wiring (and by "we" i mean my brother and dad... they did the electrical) so we are doing 12 volt tape lighting.

The toe kick is interesting, because the counter starts at 36" at the wall with the stove, but the floor (and ceiling) slope so much that instead of 4.5" toekick, it's almost 7" at the far right 🤣

It's a good thing I'm good at all this stuff... I already have a kitchen reno lined up for my company... the same friend I'm doing the basement for right now haha.

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts

Was at the mechanic last week getting some work done on my car and he mentioned that he had some receptacles that weren't working upstairs. I went back on Friday with an 8' ladder to investigate... receptacles have wiring, wiring goes into ceiling... and ends there.

So, this morning I picked up whatever material I had at the storage depot, and picked up a 75M roll of 12/4 AC90 (its odd to have to buy 3 phase wiring... and its a heavy roll... it doesn't look that heavy...) fed 2×20 amp receptacles, a fridge receptacle, and a clock receptacle (i can do that in a dwelling unit by code, a clock receptacle on with the dedicated fridge receptacle... too bad this is commercial, don't know if there's anything against it here haha).

It sucked buying a 75M roll to only use 20M, but they ended up wanting, and a quote, "as many dedicated receptacles as possible" for their bitcoin mining, so I did 2 runs across the ceiling to where their current bitcoin mining is. I removed probably 1000' of old data and phone wiring that was all cut off in the ceiling before running the AC90... I HATE opening a ceiling and having wires fall out...

Now, I ran 2 runs of 4 conductor cable across the room, which will give me 6 dedicated circuits... the question is, should I put in a 6 gang box, or 2×3 gang boxes? I like the idea of a 6 gang if I can find a 6 gang cover plate...

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,433 Posts
Believe it or not, that cat 5 is worth money at the scrap yard.

Reactions: Kevin_Essiambre

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,334 Posts
I always seem to find a pair of ***** above the grid.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I always seem to find a pair of ***** above the grid.
Must be working in the alternative lifestyle district.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
Believe it or not, that cat 5 is worth money at the scrap yard.
Yup. I left it there overnight, tomorrow if they haven't thrown it out I'm putting it in a big garbage back to bring back to the storage depot. I didn't have any with me tonight...

So what do you think, 6 gang or 2×3 gang for the 6 dedicated circuits? Because this is the great white north, I don't need tie bars, so my logic is to put them in a 6 gang and label them 1A 1B 3A 3B 5A 5B just because I can (and because I'm using twin breakers) haha but I think a 6 gang might look a little silly... what do you think?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,334 Posts
I wouldn’t do a 6 gang... what if they plug in a wall wart, it could take up 2/4 receptacles.

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
I wouldn’t do a 6 gang... what if they plug in a wall wart, it could take up 2/4 receptacles.
No wall warts here... all power bars. 30 computers for bitcoin mining.

If they wanted more than 6 receptacles, I'd be inclined to install a sub-panel on that wall and install as many as they'd like. I have no shortage of power in this building haha

But I have to agree two 3 gangs would be better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
View attachment 153055
Was at the mechanic last week getting some work done on my car and he mentioned that he had some receptacles that weren't working upstairs. I went back on Friday with an 8' ladder to investigate... receptacles have wiring, wiring goes into ceiling... and ends there.

So, this morning I picked up whatever material I had at the storage depot, and picked up a 75M roll of 12/4 AC90 (its odd to have to buy 3 phase wiring... and its a heavy roll... it doesn't look that heavy...) fed 2×20 amp receptacles, a fridge receptacle, and a clock receptacle (i can do that in a dwelling unit by code, a clock receptacle on with the dedicated fridge receptacle... too bad this is commercial, don't know if there's anything against it here haha).

It sucked buying a 75M roll to only use 20M, but they ended up wanting, and a quote, "as many dedicated receptacles as possible" for their bitcoin mining, so I did 2 runs across the ceiling to where their current bitcoin mining is. I removed probably 1000' of old data and phone wiring that was all cut off in the ceiling before running the AC90... I HATE opening a ceiling and having wires fall out... View attachment 153056 View attachment 153057

Now, I ran 2 runs of 4 conductor cable across the room, which will give me 6 dedicated circuits... the question is, should I put in a 6 gang box, or 2×3 gang boxes? I like the idea of a 6 gang if I can find a 6 gang cover plate...
Ist, Garvin online may have a 6 gang cover.
You do have Y service, right?

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
Ist, Garvin online may have a 6 gang cover.
You do have Y service, right?
Garvin is an American company. I'm sure i could hunt down a 6 gang cover somewhere in Canada first.

Y service? Good question. Dunno, all I know is my panel is 120/208 Y fed from a splitter from a 75KVA 600-120/208 transformer.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,746 Posts
Looks like it was sizzling there for quite a while. Might not have tripped another brand either.

Reactions: eddy current
501 - 520 of 568 Posts