Electrician Talk banner

541 - 560 of 568 Posts

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
Is that CSA approved tie-wire?:ROFLMAO:

You can get the proper BX clamps you know.......

Lol, I was using BX clamps. 12/4 is a little too large for them, but it fit... but pushing the box in the wall, the cable popped out, which I knew was gonna happen, but I did try once.
Here you can see the bx clamps... for some reason I took tons of photos of this relatively small job haha

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
91 Posts

Local farmer got caught by the AHJ doing his own electrical work, 760' overhead line to a new well he had drilled. No insulators on any of the poles, screwed a mast hub on to a type 1 panel hanging on the end pole, hooked up power 2 ft under the poco transformer while it was live. I get to clean it all up. Got insulators put up on all the poles today, and got a new panel hung in the shop to replace his existing fuse box. Not part of what the AHJ flagged him on, but convinced him it was a good idea to upgrade :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
View attachment 153099 View attachment 153101

Local farmer got caught by the AHJ doing his own electrical work, 760' overhead line to a new well he had drilled. No insulators on any of the poles, screwed a mast hub on to a type 1 panel hanging on the end pole, hooked up power 2 ft under the poco transformer while it was live. I get to clean it all up. Got insulators put up on all the poles today, and got a new panel hung in the shop to replace his existing fuse box. Not part of what the AHJ flagged him on, but convinced him it was a good idea to upgrade :)
Looks like Farmer Joe needs some help on his wiring.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's been slow at work. Today I went to a house to check out a short circuit at a home and the repair took about 1 hr. Cut in a some can lights in 2 commercial rest rooms // yucky work. :) It's a PITA when you try to fold in 3 runs of #12 solid in those work can j boxes. Then I went home and played with my Christmas Light controller for next year. I figure I better keep up with my neighbors next Christmas.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm trying to just use old parts and it will be plugged into 2 GFCI circuits so it should be safe. I used sprinkler timers and contactors with 24vac coils. Old computer power supplies and what ever I had laying around. :) I should have the project done by next December.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,272 Posts
I'm trying to just use old parts and it will be plugged into 2 GFCI circuits so it should be safe. I used sprinkler timers and contactors with 24vac coils. Old computer power supplies and what ever I had laying around. :) I should have the project done by next December.
I've been thinking about making one with a Click PLC just for fun. Don't know if it will ever happen.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
826 Posts
View attachment 153085 View attachment 153086
I finished up those bitcoin mining receptacles, and then went to troubleshoot the PA system. Turns out the amplifier needs to be replaced.

There's something satisfying about 3 phase wiring. Red red black black blue blue. Missing a 3 gang plate tho, but I have to go back anyway... I think I see a 3 phase service to my dream house now..
Just curious, why six outlets in one location? Small industrial shop? Commercial building of some sort?

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
826 Posts

In the process of installing 34 of these (Dual-Lite EVHC6ID's) in a huge Baptist Church complex. The majority of the Chicom TPI's they installed a couple of years ago had died! The fire marshal showed up a couple of weeks ago and he was not a happy camper.

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
Just curious, why six outlets in one location? Small industrial shop? Commercial building of some sort?
They asked for as many as I could install. There's 20 more computers going in for bitcoin mining. Really, I could have gotten away with one 3 gang, but I really don't care lol money is money.

They don't pay for power at this shop, so I see more bitcoin mining servers after the 20 new ones.

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
What? Power is included with their rent but it's not separately metered, so the landlord has no idea if they're just running dummy loads to run the bill up.

·
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
That won't last long.
Never gonna happen.

To put in seperate meters the WHOLE building needs to be re-wiried. Looking about 150K min. It used to be one large warehouse but over the years they just put walls up and divided the spaces. They're in the middle units. Their panels feed offices 2 units down, feeds the fire alarm system, all row garage door openers, most of the lighting, and all kinds of other stuff.... we didn't even know that, and here I am 4 months ago just shutting stuff down whenever I want to work on the splitters 😂

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,353 Posts
I've always heard the power bill is the cost of bitcoin mining. When that guy's bill goes from $2k per month to $7k, he's going to speak up.

What are you (they) going to do with all the heat in the room?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,334 Posts
I've always heard the power bill is the cost of bitcoin mining. When that guy's bill goes from $2k per month to $7k, he's going to speak up.

What are you (they) going to do with all the heat in the room?
I did a job about two years ago for an IT guy for a hospital. I installed a bunch of circuits to the IT room for what I assumed was needed for servers or whatever for the hospital. By the end of it I figured out that the dude was installing a bunch of miners. My assumption is he probably had the hospital buy the units, pay for the electrical upgrades, and then for all the power to operate the units and of course the extra AC for the room.

Never went back to do anything, but there is a lot of that going on out there. Too many shady people out there.

Reactions: Easy and MikeFL

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,018 Posts
I installed CT’s in a large office building that did not have separate metered units to monitor and have the ability to bill the tenants.
Some floors were easy because one whole panel was for one tenant but other floors we had to monitor each circuit individually.
The cost to install the monitoring was very small in comparison to the increase in rent that the building can charge due to power consumption. They were doing this because some tenants had large computer server labs running 24/7 and others had nothing but laptops and phones, but they payed the same rent due to square footage.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I did a job about two years ago for an IT guy for a hospital. I installed a bunch of circuits to the IT room for what I assumed was needed for servers or whatever for the hospital. By the end of it I figured out that the dude was installing a bunch of miners. My assumption is he probably had the hospital buy the units, pay for the electrical upgrades, and then for all the power to operate the units and of course the extra AC for the room.

Never went back to do anything, but there is a lot of that going on out there. Too many shady people out there.
That sound like a lot of work for a thief to basically steal power from the hospital when you could just swipe stuff and sell it on Craigslist

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,334 Posts
That sound like a lot of work for a thief to basically steal power from the hospital when you could just swipe stuff and sell it on Craigslist
Depends upon how much coin you mine, the ROI could be huge... especially since you didn't invest anything.

541 - 560 of 568 Posts