Electrician Talk banner

601 - 620 of 687 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,730 Posts
Hope you ran a 5 wire so the AC works
There's a 5th wire tucked away, but there's no central AC, and she rents so she will likely never have it installed (especially because power is included!)

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,368 Posts
hoooo doggy...that's some cold chit

Reactions: five.five-six

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,730 Posts
I showed up on site today to install some Time-Lapse cameras. They show me this pole they build to mount the camera on.

The thing was moving WAY too much for a time-lapse camera to be installed on. A normal live view camera, yes, but the time-lapse would look like ****. Here's how much it swayed while moving it...

Then, I grabbed the lift, and proceeded to attempt to install the camera... The thing was moving way too much, so I made a call. Told the boss that we couldn't mount on it as-is, but I had some wire-rope in the car, so I could do some guy-wires on the thing. I call the gentleman at the site who was there to help me, and got him to come help me get ready to install the guy-wires. Had him hunt down something to attach to some poles so I could fasten the turnbuckles. He came back with some forged eyelets and the guy I saw driving around with a welder/generator. They started on that while I ran to get some missing parts for the guywire system. I picked up some thimbles, turnbuckles with bolts rather than closed eyes, some forged eyebolts, and some small shackles.

The welder came back after and gave me some cards, and painted the eyelets so they wouldn't rust out over the 8 months this stuff will be here.

I got to work on installing my camera and the guywires.

Here's a video of the wobble after installing the guywires.

There was another camera that got installed on the boomlift, as it will only be installed until next wednesday then removed.

My temporary 12 volt power supply... The guys will put a real 12 volt supply on it tomorrow.

That was it for today. Simple job turned into 6 hours haha

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,730 Posts
Yesterday I got to install some PTZ cameras at a site that I already installed some time-lapse cameras at last year...
I also got to install STARLINK INTERNET!!!

I will be putting together a simple video covering the setup of starlink internet, but here's some photos for now.
I got to try out my stainless steel strapping/banding tool for the first time. The thing is amazing. Here you can see I installed the PTZ using some, the Ubiquti Radio using some, and put an additional clamp on the time lapse using some slightly less shiny stuff.

Here's a pic of the PTZ, Radio, and the STARLINK internet antenna. It required some thinking on how to mount it, as it only comes with a tri-pod.

Was a pretty easy installation of the system. I absolutely love how clean the cables are on the outside from the hole over to the corner of the building. There is slack on the cables on the 2" EMT in case they want to change the pole out to a longer one, saves me from having to run a new wire or even just pull slack outside.

I will be getting my tig welder working so I can start making the mounts that I want to use for these installs. They have mounts made but they're not ideal sometimes, or something they don't want to try as it might not work... at least with not paying to do trial and error, all you loose is your own time, and some material.... But considering I will need practice anyway, it's not a big deal.

Oh, and when I left from this site, I came upon a vehicle in the ditch. The lady went in the ditch likely 30 seconds before I drove by. I was first on scene.

When I stopped to ask if she was okay, she said yes, and that I could leave as her husband is on the way. I said okay and went to turn around again so I was heading in the right direction...

But I noticed she was pregnant (I later learnt that she was 8 months pregnant...). I couldn't leave her there alone, so as I came up on the scene again I pulled over, turned the beacon lite on, left the car running with the tail lights on, and parked a few hundred feet back. After a few minutes I ended up moving my car to the top of the hill (long story short, blind corner and blind hill approaching this scene). The lady told me I could leave and I don't have to stay, but I told her if I leave, there's a high chance of a secondary collision or equivalent happening (I didn't want to flat out say "you're pregnant, I'm not leaving"... although she might have appreciated that as well). I told her I'm staying until the police show up. In the meanwhile, a bunch of her friends stopped to talk to her and see if she's OK, at some point her husband showed up. Cops were already on their way, paramedic was also on their way, and a tow truck was also on their way.

While waiting for the police to show up, I started waving people thru, as they ALL slowed down and asked if everyone was OK... Yes, we are all ok... that's why there's a dozen vehicles on the side of the road... anyway... I waved people thru so they wouldn't stop to ask if they needed help of it they're OK. Most people saw me waving them thru and waved back, thanking me for essentially saying "we're all good here, keep going". The cop showed up, did a U-turn, and parked blocking half of one of the lanes. Took her 5 minutes to realize when she shut her curiser off, so did the lights... lol

Now the cops are on scene. I ask if they need any info, let them know I was first on scene, and end up just chatting with everyone else. Paramedics showed up... Not one, but 2, plus a paramedic in an SUV. Now the road is down to one lane. I start on REAL traffic control at this point, stopping traffic on one side while waiving traffic thru the other way. Was pretty fun until it got to the people who were going (I'm not kidding here) slower than walking pace, trying to see the wreck... anyway. The paramedics leave, tow truck parks in the right spot to do the recovery, and the cop says I can leave now, as she's blocking one entire lane... I shrug, say thanks, and head back to my car. It's dark now, so people are way more likely to see the flashing blue and red lights while they approach the hill anyway.

Oh, and the story behind how she got there... She swerved to miss a wild turkey, over corrected, and ended up in the soft snow in the ditch, and went for a ride. This photo you can see the tracks.

Oh, and if my good samaritan act yesterday wasn't enough, today I picked a lock for an individual in my neighborhood who managed to lock herself out of her bedroom yesterday...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yesterday I got to install some PTZ cameras at a site that I already installed some time-lapse cameras at last year...
I also got to install STARLINK INTERNET!!!

I will be putting together a simple video covering the setup of starlink internet, but here's some photos for now.
I got to try out my stainless steel strapping/banding tool for the first time. The thing is amazing. Here you can see I installed the PTZ using some, the Ubiquti Radio using some, and put an additional clamp on the time lapse using some slightly less shiny stuff.
View attachment 153905
Here's a pic of the PTZ, Radio, and the STARLINK internet antenna. It required some thinking on how to mount it, as it only comes with a tri-pod.
View attachment 153906
View attachment 153907
View attachment 153908
Was a pretty easy installation of the system. I absolutely love how clean the cables are on the outside from the hole over to the corner of the building. There is slack on the cables on the 2" EMT in case they want to change the pole out to a longer one, saves me from having to run a new wire or even just pull slack outside.

I will be getting my tig welder working so I can start making the mounts that I want to use for these installs. They have mounts made but they're not ideal sometimes, or something they don't want to try as it might not work... at least with not paying to do trial and error, all you loose is your own time, and some material.... But considering I will need practice anyway, it's not a big deal.

Oh, and when I left from this site, I came upon a vehicle in the ditch. The lady went in the ditch likely 30 seconds before I drove by. I was first on scene.
View attachment 153909
When I stopped to ask if she was okay, she said yes, and that I could leave as her husband is on the way. I said okay and went to turn around again so I was heading in the right direction...

But I noticed she was pregnant (I later learnt that she was 8 months pregnant...). I couldn't leave her there alone, so as I came up on the scene again I pulled over, turned the beacon lite on, left the car running with the tail lights on, and parked a few hundred feet back. After a few minutes I ended up moving my car to the top of the hill (long story short, blind corner and blind hill approaching this scene). The lady told me I could leave and I don't have to stay, but I told her if I leave, there's a high chance of a secondary collision or equivalent happening (I didn't want to flat out say "you're pregnant, I'm not leaving"... although she might have appreciated that as well). I told her I'm staying until the police show up. In the meanwhile, a bunch of her friends stopped to talk to her and see if she's OK, at some point her husband showed up. Cops were already on their way, paramedic was also on their way, and a tow truck was also on their way.

While waiting for the police to show up, I started waving people thru, as they ALL slowed down and asked if everyone was OK... Yes, we are all ok... that's why there's a dozen vehicles on the side of the road... anyway... I waved people thru so they wouldn't stop to ask if they needed help of it they're OK. Most people saw me waving them thru and waved back, thanking me for essentially saying "we're all good here, keep going". The cop showed up, did a U-turn, and parked blocking half of one of the lanes. Took her 5 minutes to realize when she shut her curiser off, so did the lights... lol

Now the cops are on scene. I ask if they need any info, let them know I was first on scene, and end up just chatting with everyone else. Paramedics showed up... Not one, but 2, plus a paramedic in an SUV. Now the road is down to one lane. I start on REAL traffic control at this point, stopping traffic on one side while waiving traffic thru the other way. Was pretty fun until it got to the people who were going (I'm not kidding here) slower than walking pace, trying to see the wreck... anyway. The paramedics leave, tow truck parks in the right spot to do the recovery, and the cop says I can leave now, as she's blocking one entire lane... I shrug, say thanks, and head back to my car. It's dark now, so people are way more likely to see the flashing blue and red lights while they approach the hill anyway.

Oh, and the story behind how she got there... She swerved to miss a wild turkey, over corrected, and ended up in the soft snow in the ditch, and went for a ride. This photo you can see the tracks.
View attachment 153910

Oh, and if my good samaritan act yesterday wasn't enough, today I picked a lock for an individual in my neighborhood who managed to lock herself out of her bedroom yesterday...
What a day! Sounds like your traffic cop badge will arrive by mail in five to seven business days, they'll want you back. You did too good of a job.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,730 Posts
Sounds like your traffic cop badge will arrive by mail in five to seven business days, they'll want you back. You did too good of a job.
Honestly, I think I did more work than the police while I was on scene... would have been helpful to have a second person for traffic control but I managed with 1 person haha

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Today is a work from home day so I have paperwork spread across the kitchen table and I can not seem to get XL to work the way I want it to today. Frustrating but I'm warm and getting paid so I'm not going to complain to loudly.

Tim.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I use the basics and to be honest, I had a bad evening last night and it's overflowed into today. I may just take the day off and do something for myself. I do really appreciate the offer and may take you up on in the future.

Thanks

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,875 Posts
For years I told people not to avoid wild animals, less chance of a major accident. One day I was driving down the road and a deer ran out, I just swerved a little, then three more came out and instincts took over and I swerved hard. Guess who hit a tree and flipped his truck? Don't even listen to myself.
Cowboy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've run over a fox, a bagger and to many gophers. My daughter braked hard for a fox and ended up with 2 tires that had flat spots and needed to be replaced. I have swerved for deer and a moose, I will take my chances in a ditch before hitting a moose. But we don't have a lot of trees so the ditch is a viable option.

Tim

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,875 Posts
I've run over a fox, a bagger and to many gophers. My daughter braked hard for a fox and ended up with 2 tires that had flat spots and needed to be replaced. I have swerved for deer and a moose, I will take my chances in a ditch before hitting a moose. But we don't have a lot of trees so the ditch is a viable option.

Tim
Same with bears, I hit one one day and the lady behind me gets out and starts looking for it!!!!

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,368 Posts
I've run over a fox, a bagger and to many gophers.
Tim
You can't hit baggers...they're an essential species and get hazard pay now.

thanks Obama

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,730 Posts
@Kevin you deserve today off (from construction, not here!).
Yesterday was a full day for you for sure.
Be safe up there!
Not only do I deserve the day off, but I need the rest. But at least the weekend is here. It's a long weekend for us here in Ontario (idunno about the rest of the country).

I changed 5 fuse panel guts out to homeline inserts today. 5 out of 197 to change in the building. They're taking approx. 1 hour each, so it means I can leave around 2 or 3 PM. I'm getting paid for each one I change rather than hourly... So the faster I can do them, the more money per hour I make... I want to get down to around 45 minutes each. I'll share some photos tomorrow for you all to see what I'm working with. For tonight I'm going to bed... I'm tired as heck.

601 - 620 of 687 Posts