Electrician Talk banner

621 - 640 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,210 Posts
Not only do I deserve the day off, but I need the rest. But at least the weekend is here. It's a long weekend for us here in Ontario (idunno about the rest of the country).

I changed 5 fuse panel guts out to homeline inserts today. 5 out of 197 to change in the building. They're taking approx. 1 hour each, so it means I can leave around 2 or 3 PM. I'm getting paid for each one I change rather than hourly... So the faster I can do them, the more money per hour I make... I want to get down to around 45 minutes each. I'll share some photos tomorrow for you all to see what I'm working with. For tonight I'm going to bed... I'm tired as heck.
You're tired after 5hrs of work? And you were finished at 3pm? Poor guy! ;)

·
Estwing magic
25,410 Posts
Freezing my butt and fingers deleting pot lights in an outdoor parkade. -25C with a 15K wind. Installing low profile LED canopy lights.

Whoever invented the HPS potlight should be kicked in the knackers........
Whoever scheduled it for February should be kicked in the knickers.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,210 Posts
Whoever scheduled it for February should be kicked in the knickers.
Actually, the fixtures were ordered back in Oct. Covid/supply issues and suddenly it's February.

I've paused on that install for the time being.

Reactions: 99cents

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,753 Posts
I've run over a fox, a bagger and to many gophers. My daughter braked hard for a fox and ended up with 2 tires that had flat spots and needed to be replaced. I have swerved for deer and a moose, I will take my chances in a ditch before hitting a moose. But we don't have a lot of trees so the ditch is a viable option.

Tim
Hit a moose and it'll be in your front sear with you.
Those long legs will flip it over your hood right through the windshield.
Ditch is a much better idea.

Reactions: canbug

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Are you allowed to use ENT for that?
Actually it might be quicker to use ENT but I get a thrill out of jamming conduit through metal stud. I could have used MC or Aluminum flex as well. It wasn't a code requirement to use EMT but the owner requested it. I personally like EMT because it's more versatile if you need to add conductors in the future. I really can't comment on ENT but I know it's widely used in our trade. I just haven't had much experience using it.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,728 Posts
You're tired after 5hrs of work? And you were finished at 3pm? Poor guy! ;)
It's not the 5 hours of work that made me tired... Working outside in the cold, doing tedious tasks that require removing my gloves is what did it, and maybe only 5 or 6 hours of sleep...

I also did a service call last night to go and fix a camera that needed a new wire... Why must the tasks that require no gloves need to be done during -30 degree weather???

Throw in there fighting my way thru costco, and that makes for a full day.

I want to do 6-7 panels a day but nooooooooo, can't do that as they've already given notice to the tenants of when they'll be done...

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,317 Posts
Not working on anything today, because it’s Presidents Day. So I figured I’d get a new pair of boots with some Presidents’ Day sales. Turns out the pair I wear for outdoors was discontinued. There was one store about an hour away that had some stock. They didn’t have it in black, but he was selling them at $75 instead of the normal $200. I bought two pairs. Probably should have bought three. It might have taken me to retirement. I switch between Muck Chore boots if it’s real soupy, and work shoes if I’m inside on concrete, so I can get about four years out of them. And as comfortable as they are on me, I don’t mind looking like I have platypus feet.
1FF716D3-2C55-4D51-9348-A6FE7F52D1AD.jpeg

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,719 Posts
Mike, we lived on Pearl Street at the beach for around 3 years before migrating to Whiskey Creek. I'm an official FMB Rat. Pink Shell still looks the same. I see that the surf at the pier is huge that day,,,,, huge.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,738 Posts
Mike, we lived on Pearl Street at the beach for around 3 years before migrating to Whiskey Creek. I'm an official FMB Rat. Pink Shell still looks the same. I see that the surf at the pier is huge that day,,,,, huge.
Not sure why I was thinking Iona. You were right downtown on the beach.

FMB is actually an official town now with mayor & council, etc., like a small city.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,536 Posts
Finished up an install of two Drives that needed an isolation transformer to go from 240v Open Delta with a grounded B phase to 240v Delta. Only one drive runs at a time so I installed a double throw safety switch. Built the Control box that verifies valve position on both pumps and then starts the drive for the pump that is ready. The drive speed is controlled by the flow meter in the control box. Has built in cooldown for boilers and chemical feeders. The larger conduit is 1 1/4" RMC and I had to use double 45* bends in the corner to get around other stuff behind the large return pipe . The pool guy is going to relocate the chemical lines that are below the double throw safety switch.

EDIT: Small rigid was bent with my new Gardner Bender B1000 bender. Large 1 1/4" rigid was bent with my old Greenlee 880 hydraulic bender.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Do you work for a plant? I'd like to get more into stuff like that, just curious. Rarely do I get into installing VFDs and motor controls and what not for who I work for. Definitely something I'm interested in getting more experience with.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,536 Posts
Do you work for a plant? I'd like to get more into stuff like that, just curious. Rarely do I get into installing VFDs and motor controls and what not for who I work for. Definitely something I'm interested in getting more experience with.
I'm my own small company. Most of my work is for GC's I know a lot of guys don't like working for GC's but I have a handful I work for and I never have to go looking for work. My work is kind of specialized and they know I will do a good job and everything will work so they don't beat me up on price. Most of my stuff is on large commercial swimming pools and I'm one of the few contractors that will integrate everything (VFD's, chemical controllers, boilers, filter controllers, UV, Ozone, etc), start it up, program everything. Kind of a one stop shop where they don't have to call in 3 different companies for the different equipment. I'm also certified for most of the commercial pool equipment by the manufactures so I can do startup and training on them as well. I currently install about 30-40 VFD's a year on pools alone.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,210 Posts
Nice looking install!

Reactions: MotoGP1199

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm my own small company. Most of my work is for GC's I know a lot of guys don't like working for GC's but I have a handful I work for and I never have to go looking for work. My work is kind of specialized and they know I will do a good job and everything will work so they don't beat me up on price. Most of my stuff is on large commercial swimming pools and I'm one of the few contractors that will integrate everything (VFD's, chemical controllers, boilers, filter controllers, UV, Ozone, etc), start it up, program everything. Kind of a one stop shop where they don't have to call in 3 different companies for the different equipment. I'm also certified for most of the commercial pool equipment by the manufactures so I can do startup and training on them as well. I currently install about 30-40 VFD's a year on pools alone.
That's pretty awesome. I'm looking to someday start my own show as an independent contractor doing commercial, but still have a lot to learn. I'd like to think I'm sharp but that's honestly a joke haha. Realistically I have way more to learn if I want to tap into specialty gigs like what you're involved with. How did you go about learning all of this in the first place? I work for a service company which does add-on installs and retrofits and stuff like that, every now and then I'll work on motor controls but not enough to really soak it in as an expert. I'd really like to immerse myself in what you are doing. Just curious how you went about learning the ropes?

·
Registered
Electrician
1,536 Posts
That's pretty awesome. I'm looking to someday start my own show as an independent contractor doing commercial, but still have a lot to learn. I'd like to think I'm sharp but that's honestly a joke haha. Realistically I have way more to learn if I want to tap into specialty gigs like what you're involved with. How did you go about learning all of this in the first place? I work for a service company which does add-on installs and retrofits and stuff like that, every now and then I'll work on motor controls but not enough to really soak it in as an expert. I'd really like to immerse myself in what you are doing. Just curious how you went about learning the ropes?
That's a great attitude and exactly what you need to learn. Most of my learning is on the job or self study. I still spend thousands of hours a year at home reading, looking at diagrams and trying to learn something new. I would regularly stay late at jobs when I was young(off the clock) to test things out and and see how things worked. Instead of just hooking it up and leaving I would put meters on wires to see how things reacted. I would test to see what transformers would do with no load, with a load, inrush, etc to help me understand. If I see it first hand I retain it way better than just reading theory. Troubleshooting is one of the best ways to learn. I learn more from troubleshooting than from installing.

To learn PLC's I just bought a cheap PLC, read, watched you tube video's and tested it out at home with about $200 worth of cheap PLC products and some old switches and lights I removed from equipment being thrown away. I learned to program VFD's when one of my old employers said "hey install this". So I brought the manual home, read it, installed it. He then said "program the drive, we have a bunch to install and I rather you program it than pay someone else." I sat in front of that drive for 2 days and finally got it to do what I wanted. The second drive that was almost the same took be about an hour to program. Each time I installed a drive I would learn other ways to get it to do what I wanted that would either be easier or more reliable. Drives are weird and the manuals don't make much sense at first. I had to actually see what it did to understand how to integrate them with different equipment properly. Installing a drive and setting it to a set speed is easy. Getting it to work with other equipment, run at different speeds based off of feedback takes some time to learn how different signals work. Now I assume most people take classes. I just took advantage of the equipment in front of me and spent my own time to learn instead of getting into a bunch of school debt.

Some of my previous employers would allow me to spend time on the job to figure things out they needed, but by spending time at home learning I was able to move up and do things I liked. It opened up many doors for me that I would not have if I just showed up to work and went home at the end of the day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My coworker and I had a discussion about PLCs today, he would like to get into that field after he's licensed. The company we're at doesn't do any automation work. It's the way things are heading and never hurts to have that knowledge, We talked about places where we can take courses on PLCs.

Hot tub install, hot tub isn't on site yet so we just did the Teck to the disconnect and the boxes. A nice short day for a Friday.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHkxVu
https://flic.kr/p/2kHgVSR
Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,692 Posts
I spent a couple of hours in an old dusty attic today. Installed some outlets in the freeze blocks for security cam power.

It's been a while since I've crawled an attic.....hopefully it'll be a longer while 'till the next one.......

I'm sore.........places I didn't even think could get sore but they're sore anyway.

Also, I can't bend and fold up as well as I used to.

621 - 640 of 678 Posts