Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Dismember
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's say you are dealing with a device box with a bunch of wires in it. I really hate when that dang electrician takes those wires and twists and spins them around eachother ten to fifteen times, in an exacerbated attempt at identifying circuits such as '3-ways' and 'switch-legs'. This one has been grinding my gears since day one! :wallbash:

How 'bout a label? :thumbup:

Everyone's got them pet-peeves. So what's yours?

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
I can't get K-PIG on my radio here.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I cannot stand that either, I have too many pet peeves to mention. I will say one is romex twisted and not sitting flat and tight to the studs with staples smashing the wire and a loop before entering the box and one feed jumping from device to device. I put tails on all 2-gang boxes or larger, so each device has it's own feed. I think that that was more than one.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
dirty van would be my number one pet peeve

·
Darn good sparky!
109 Posts
-People leaving 3 inches of wire out of the box when rough-in
-co workers that borrow my tools and dont put it back where they got it

·
Tabihu Juhar
3,209 Posts
PET PEEVES:

Rap/hip-hop music
People wearing their hat sideways
People with their pants hanging halfway off their *ss
People calling others slang idiot talk, like "Yo' dawg"
Mexicans who expect us to speak spanish
People who claim they are victims
People who sell dope so they don't have to hold a real job

You got my blood pressure sky rocketing, I am over and out!!!!!!!:censored::censored::censored::censored:

·
Darn good sparky!
109 Posts
Rap/hip-hop music
People wearing their hat sideways
People with their pants hanging halfway off their *ss
People calling others slang idiot talk, like "Yo' dawg"
People who sell dope so they don't have to hold a real job

Someone... doesnt like black people!;)

·
Dismember
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PET PEEVES:

Rap/hip-hop music
Yeah, rap/hip hop isn't what it used to be. It's dead as far as I'm concerned. And some people really ARE victims... who are we to tell them they aren't?

Anyways I can already see where this thread is going so let's please keep on the electrical topic. Let's hear about what bothers you about the people/contractors/places/things involved with our trade. :thumbsup:

·
Tabihu Juhar
3,209 Posts

Okay, let's ground him and give him a catheter of 4160V. You want to be passive???? Turn down the current.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,782 Posts
Electric-wise, a few that come to mind are;

1) Panels made up with about 100' of extra wire.

2) Wirenuts that are taped, especially in motors.

3) Guys trying to use the codebook to enforce their personal opinions; "I don't know exactly where, but it's in there!"

Personal-wise;

1) Loud music. Any kind, but especially those morons that play their bass so loud it forces the rest of us to listen to it. If it were legal to shoot these fools, most of societies problems would disappear!

2) Anyone who 'talks down' to anyone else for any reason. Berating or belittling anyone is simply an admission that you lack sufficient intelligence to discuss anything in a civilized manner.

3) Hypocrites of any kind.

4) Excessive government regulation. I can't think of anything that isn't grossly over-regulated. Safety regulations are by far the biggest offenders. Oh, I keep forgetting, 'it's all for my own good'.

Rob

·
Dismember
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2) Anyone who 'talks down' to anyone else for any reason. Berating or belittling anyone is simply an admission that you lack sufficient intelligence to discuss anything in a civilized manner.

Rob
I had a coworker at one point when I was an apprentice, who had his C10 license but never had a journeyman card. One time he walked into a unit that I wired up and took a glance at one of the boxes. He noticed that I wire my 3-ways using the black/red as travellers. He proceeds to take it apart, cursing out loud the person who made it up.

"Gawd damnit, people don't know anything. Who did this anyway? Gawd damnit"

I was like, "I wired this whole unit, what's the problem?" He goes on about how what I did was wrong, and how he learned in the union to use red and white as travellers and to spiral the wires around eachother so every other electrician would know exactly what it was. "Blah blah blah" he goes on and on, and I just respond by telling him that the wire doesn't know what color it is, and not only that but they were all labeled, so there's no possible way the next electrician can get confused. He huffed and puffed and went to the next unit mumbling about the old days back when he was in the union. Just an old dog stuck in his ways I guess.

Well one of the other journeymen on the job heard him talking down to me one time and got in his face about it. I couldn't really stand up for myself at the time, and that guy really had my back. :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pet peeves:

1. Guys who side wire devices and don't stab. (#14 of course)
2. Guys who use 12-2 Romex when 14-2 would work just as well.
3. Guys who have never read a code book but think they know code.
4. General Contractors. They should hunted like wolves and shot on sight.
5. Surface mounted light fixtures.
6. Idiots who ask me to move my truck because "they have work to do".
7. Women who seek breast reduction surgery.
8. Telling me they're ready for finish before the drywall is taped.
9. Hot dogs 10 to a pack, buns 8 to a pack. This drives me crazy.
10. People who attempt to talk to me while I'm listening to my iPod.
11. Inspectors who don't know code.
12. Pantyhose.
13. The fact that diesel costs more than gas.
14. Gridlocked Traffic.
15. Bailing out financial institutions.

·
53 GONE AT LAST!
690 Posts
Everything above!, plus
Going to suppliers only to find out that their " real time stock inventory status" is wrong and they haven't got what I want
Having to ask for things to be returned that I never loaned in the first place
Using wrong tool for the job
Kylie NOT wearing short skirts / shorts etc
Soccer
Cold coffee
Batteries dying part way through a job
People breaking / damaging my stuff
My employees keeping vans dirty
Blunt tools
20 piece drill bit /screwdriver /chisel / whatever set with only 19 items in it
Stuff not in the right place
Customers telling me something is my fault, always worked then stopped after you left...even though we had not touched it. Then NOT saying sorry when they realise it was not down to us
Being told that I charge too much and they can get it done for half the price!...I suddenly become too busy then:whistling2:
Doing a good job to British Standards and complying with Building Regulations [we have to test and sign a Cert to this effect ] only for the pipe monkey [plumber] to come along and drill holes wherever he feels like to put his plastic pipe in:censored:

Rant finishes.......

On the other side of the coin, things that cheer me up

My Children succeding in almost everything they do and being a credit to their generation
Seeing the RAF Red Arrows formation aerobatic team flying low level over my house
Customers doing it themselves and it all going horribly wrong
Politicians getting 'found out'

Diving where nobody has ever been before

Loads more things but they're for another day

...and just the other day...quoted for a job [door phone system repair]. Too expensive. Had a go himself:laughing:. Now none of the appartments work [originally only 1 was faulty]:laughing:. Requoted, guess what? Tooooooo dear. Client bought replacement kit cheap from somewhere. Got another firm to fit it, took 4 YES FOUR men half a day and it would still not work. All residents kicking off! Asked us to go. My lad fixed it in 2 hours [they had not changed the individual phones, only the Door Master!!!!] incompatible system and old stock, prob why it was so cheap. V. sheepish when he paid his invoice:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't really have any, but found interesting what others wrote. Sort of surprised.

Couple of comments: I have worked in jurisdictions which want wirenuts taped, period. "Yes, sir, yes, sir, three bags full."

Stabbing devices versus side wiring. I do not stab because the connections fail too often and too soon. Sorry about that.

I guess one issue I have are remodeled houses without electrical updates/improvements.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,021 Posts
People that loop their extension cords instead of rolling them up. Then hang them on the back of their trucks.
I know a guy that got fired for looping his cords.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts